Thread: Shaker Window Sash Profile

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    The out house looks as legit as everything else. That must be a two seater? Great images! My Mom owns the old school house in Wane County Iowa that she and grandma attended. I fantasize about saving it. I don't think it will happen. : (
    Two seater at two different heights for the wide range of grades and child sizes. There are trenches out the back for clean out, these were never moved. Also a second one for the boys.

Blog Entries
    The gentleman I worked for in Boston in 1981 used a Craftsman Crome Edge molding cutter on the table saw to make window sash. It took at least two passes. I don't remember how he did the cope & tenon. I do remember that it was tedious. The mortises were cut on the drill press with a hollow chisel. I made the sills, jambs, casings, built the cases, assembled & installed the windows but did not put the sash together. Several of these were triple hung and went right down to the floor to provide access to the back garden. They were a Victorian ancestor to the patio door. I wonder how they have held up over the years.

Screen Shot 2024-05-01 at 6.19.45 AM.jpg
    P.S. The Shakers made Victorian furniture & woodwork too. Some is quite ornate.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-01-2024 at 7:34 AM.

That is an interesting story, Maurice. Thank's for sharing it. I remember those Craftsman sets!