Thread: Unilev 150/15 Fence?

Unilev 150/15 Fence?

I recently bought this Unilev 15 edge sander, but it doesnt have the fence.

I thought I can get them from SCM but they kept on telling me the machine is too old even after I told them I will be fine with current model fence (some minor modification maybe needed)

This left me with very little options... and very likely have to fabricate a set myself. or ask someone to 3D print it.

I have been scouring the internet for the photos of the underside of the fence, I couldnt find anything, can someone please help with a photo or two of the underside of the fence if you have a Unilev 15/150?

thumbnail_image001.jpg

unilev.jpg

univel150.jpg

Dont know the sander but can you not use large angle iron. Im pretty sure on my progress machine 6" wide belt the fence is a huge chunk of angle iron

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Dont know the sander but can you not use large angle iron. Im pretty sure on my progress machine 6" wide belt the fence is a huge chunk of angle iron
    Thanks Warren
    The fence is very simple. I may have over complicated it

I think JR Rutter has one of those, maybe he will chime in. For using that side with the split fence the infeed needs to be adjustable just like a jointer or shaper.

Yes, the factory fence has a screw adjustment on the infeed fore / aft. The fence slides at an angle in the slot visible in the bed. I haven't moved mine since original setup to the amount I wanted to take off per pass. It was fiddly enough that I don't want to touch it again. But I bet you could get some large angle iron milled square and flat and do a one-time setup with the infeed offset 0.01 - 0.02" from the outfeed side. For me using 120 grit, 0.013 +/- is where I landed. There is some finesse in setting the platen, so it's somewhat arbitrary.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Yes, the factory fence has a screw adjustment on the infeed fore / aft. The fence slides at an angle in the slot visible in the bed. I haven't moved mine since original setup to the amount I wanted to take off per pass. It was fiddly enough that I don't want to touch it again. But I bet you could get some large angle iron milled square and flat and do a one-time setup with the infeed offset 0.01 - 0.02" from the outfeed side. For me using 120 grit, 0.013 +/- is where I landed. There is some finesse in setting the platen, so it's somewhat arbitrary.
    Thanks J.R.!
    I knew it was a bit fiddly just by the looks of the setup... I will give it a try. thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    I think JR Rutter has one of those, maybe he will chime in. For using that side with the split fence the infeed needs to be adjustable just like a jointer or shaper.
    Thanks Joe, is there anything in woodworking that you dont know at all ?! always full of knowledge.