Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Box for Cremation Ashes

Mike,

In this area the remains come from the crematorium in a standard plastic box inside a cardboard box. Most of the urns I've built are sized to take the plastic box rather than the contents. This makes for a larger box but keeps the family from having to handle the plastic bag containing their loved one. I've got one for reference and if you need I can send you the dimensions.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    Mike,

In this area the remains come from the crematorium in a standard plastic box inside a cardboard box. Most of the urns I've built are sized to take the plastic box rather than the contents. This makes for a larger box but keeps the family from having to handle the plastic bag containing their loved one. I've got one for reference and if you need I can send you the dimensions.

Cliff
    That's good to know. Yes, please send me the dimensions. You can post the dimensions here as information for others who might also need it.

Thanks for offering.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike that columbarium was designed by Julia Morgan who did a lot of buildings around Berkeley and also designed Hearst Castle. I like her work better then frank wright who made bad roofs.
    BillD
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 04-25-2024 at 5:30 PM.

Mike,

Cliff
    That's how my parent's cremains are currently housed a few feet from where I am typing this. (still need to arrange for the memorial service and interment at the local National Cemetery) They were handled in Florida and sent north to me.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Yes, please send me the dimensions. You can post the dimensions here as information for others who might also need it.
    Yes, this would be helpful. Thank you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    The I have followed several threads about Memorial Boxes that the woodturners here at SMC have posted. There is some remarkable work back in the wood turners archive.
    Best Regards, Maurice

With these inside dimensions the cremains box fits nicely.

8 11/16 x 6 13/16 x 4 5/8

These are the inside dimensions of the cardboard box that holds the plastic box.

I can't promise that all crematoriums will use the same box, but with every urn I've built for friends or their loved one the cremains came in the same box.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Thanks, Cliff. Since you alerted me to the way the ashes are handled, I'm going to stop at a mortuary near me and see if they use the same size in this area.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Mike,
    See if you have a crematorium in your area and go there. You can probably acquire a box to keep for reference. The one I went to didn't charge for it.

Cliff
    Charles Bukowski

Mike,
    See if you have a crematorium in your area and go there. You can probably acquire a box to keep for reference. The one I went to didn't charge for it.

Cliff
    Good idea. Thanks.

Mike

Here's one I made for my Mother's ashes. Very simple and could have been adapted to a top opening box for interim use. This one had a fixed top and the bottom was screwed onto the sides after the ashes were loaded.
    urn.jpg