Thread: Bugs !

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Sorry to be the Negative Nancy here, but I would get rid of the table. Hard to know if home baked solutions have worked. If you have a professional outfit that does this regularly that is the only way I would consider.

Thanks for drying heating suggestions John, I'd have to build something in the garage and since this table is complete I'd be afraid of what that heat may do to wood, warping & glue joints. I did read where as the wood dries naturally the bugs will die off. I also read they can't survive if MC is below something like 12% so I'm not believing everything I'm reading except proper heating of the wood will kill them.
    Do you think the heat would ruin the finished top ?
    Ron, I am not going to get rid of table It's only 2 1/2 years old & I probably have $800-$1000 in materials alone. I'm going to try cabinet scraping of the Watco on the underside as that's where the worm holes are do a Disodium Octaborate treatment & see what happens. From what I've read that will kill them, pro exterminators use the product all the time so I'm thinking/hoping it will work. I'd rather watch the bugs eat it than get rid of it.
    Table.jpg
    T1.jpg

I'd be afraid to try heating the entire table, too. Titebond yellow glues lose most of their strength at 150F. Franklin doesn't say how much is lost at 135 - 140F, but I would imagine it's similar, so I wouldn't do it. I'd be OK doing it with 2-part glues though. Just to answer the question, I think nearly any finish would be fine up to 150F, and likely quite a bit higher, as long as nothing was sitting on it.

I agree, fumigating or another chemical process is likely the best option.

John

Blog Entries
    Pesky buggers! That is a darn shame. It happens a lot. I suspect corners were cut when it was "Kiln Dried". I agree with the others that taking it to 150* now will ruin it.