Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
I have twice traced dead circuits to the refer receptacle- vibration and/or cycling had work hardened the wire at the terminal causing it to break.
Wires breaking at termination can also be caused by an inexperience contractor nicking the wire when they strip it with their wire cutters.

It seems there is a lot of controversy concerning backstab receptacles. From what others have mentioned on other sites there can be a lot of failures with them being indicated.

My experience with them is almost nil. Using the screws to secure the wires has always been my choice. After all, the wire stabbed into the back is held in place be spring action. When the wire is shoved into the box, stresses are placed on the wire through bending. Over time there will be heat in the outlet to cause weakening of the spring action. If multiple outlets are daisy chained via the backstabbing, there are too many chances for failure.

That may be why they have fallen out of favor with those in the electrical professions.

I like to use 20 amp receptacles even though code allows 15 amp.
As long as the wiring can support a 20 amp load. A lot of wiring is done with 14 gauge wire that wouldn't be too good with a 20 amp load.

jtk