Thread: Creeker’s Past Weeks Accomplishments

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Leifer View Post
    I’m taking a class in Veneering and Marquetry at the local community college and we have a project assignment due each week. Here’s assignment #9, a 10x10 inch checkerboard. Mine has maple and ebony squares one inch on a side, 0.022” thick, with a bubinga border. (At least I think it’s bubinga. I ordered a 15 lb box of assorted off-cuts and leftovers from a veneer supplier and none of the woods are identified.) The finish is shellac applied with the French polishing technique. I’m getting the hang of this!

IMG_1652.jpg
    Nicely done Mark!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

This is more of this weeks accomplishments, but it will be last week soon...

I've worked on this property since the '80s, and built the garage/guest house in 1990. A giant bay tree just fell, leading to the discovery of a rotted 8X8 post supporting the back porch.

The landscape crew is going to fix it, along with the fences etc. that the tree took out, but I am supplying a piece of stock for the repair. Dry 8X8 redwood is not that easy to come by. I was just given a 6X12 beam that came from a bridge, so I used some of that, cutting and re-gluing to get the dimension.

The clients habitually over-water the landscaping, so things stay soggy- I've repaired other stuff there.

IMG_4942.jpgIMG_4944.jpegIMG_4946.jpeg