Thread: Is there a small, accurate table saw?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demuth View Post
    I had one of those that I purchased from a friend 45 years ago. He had it from his father's estate. I used it as my primary table saw for a couple of decades, but one day the friend shows up and wants to lend to a young fellow building his own house. I was traveling all the time for work, and saw no need for it in the forseeable future, so of course gave it back to the guy I had gotten it from on loan. Never saw the saw again. He still apologizes for having lost my saw about once a year, when I see him at a community event.

It was a great saw for it's size. Plenty of mass, solid bearings with minimal runout, and accurately ground miter slots. Assuming he only very rarely needs blade tilt, would be a perfect compact saw for the Geoff's situation. Can't recommend it though for anything most things that do require a blade tilt. Tilted tables on a saw are just all kinds of difficult to work with.
    My Hitachi job site saw was none of those good things.
    15 amp direct drive motor screamed like a Banshee - aluminum top was lightweight - miter slots were stamped out of the aluminum, were not a standard size (metric size of some sort), the legs were weak and spindly and the saw was very prone to tipping over, indifferent fence - not bad - not good - just there.
    Horrible excuse for a tool.
    I did manage to remake all the doors in a kitchen with it so it paid for itself.
    I think we're talking about different saws.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon