Thread: Shipping Large Power Tools

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gumpper View Post
    I looked quite extensively but figured I would ask if anyone has a good way to ship large power tools and tool boxes at a reasonable price. Distance is about 1000 miles.

One way Uhaul box truck was about $2800 so that's too much.
    One way Uhaul trailer was about $1000 and not sure it would hold the weight, don't really want to drive the 1000 miles either.
    Uhaul rental trailer local was reasonable but that would require me driving it 1000 miles there and back, not ideal.
    Could get some pallets and strap stuff down but no pallet jack or way to lift the pallets.
    Looked at a PODS but don't see any way to strap stuff down inside and a possible weight issue.

Best option might be to just sell and buy locally but the tool boxes and tools have sentimental value. Not in a hurry can probably wait until I have a need to drive up there but prefer to transport somehow for a reasonable price.
    There are more more companies like PODS than just PODS. Here's one list:

https://www.move.org/best-moving-container-companies/

I kind of thought the PODS containers were not really suitable for heavy things like machines and tools boxes - too lightly built though I could be wrong, no experience. 1-800-pack-rat claims all steel containers.

I had one bad experience with an LTL shipment and that was enough to never go that route again. I only use the small air ride conestoga side curtain vans now. Easy to load and unload if you have a forklift. Just had a few machines delivered from New York to Kentucky for $1500. IMG_5543.jpg

Blog Entries
    I also try to avoid LTL as often as possible. I would do as John suggests and rent a forklift on both ends. Unfortunately there is no inexpensive way to do this, unless you rent a trailer and are willing to do the labor yourself.

In perfectly clear weather (lol) I picked up a Hapfo lathe with a Home Depot flatbed. Cost me for a helper and rental, so all in for about $650, if I didn't need a helper it would have been around $150+gas
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

You gotta pay to play, unfortunately, with this kind of thing...or be willing to do all the work (driving, trailer+truck, loading/unloading, rigging, etc)

I have done a lot of this alone / for myself on a "budget" with reasonably heavy (1000-2000 lb) machines various distances and it always involves a good bit of brain power to prepare for and execute this type of thing safely, both for yourself and the machinery.

My specific answer may depend on what class/weight of machines we're talking about and if they can fit in a lift gate, both weight and dimensions wise. Depending on access, etc I would recommend making everything pallet Jack friendly and hiring a truck with a lift gate, but there are so many reasons why that may not work, depending on the details. Forklifts are ideal for heavier stuff but this costs $$ typically.

I have also moved heavy machines down from (lower) trailers on site made ramps and pallet Jack or multiple black iron pipe underneath; anything is possible but much more time and sweat equity down that path compared to hiring out for some hydraulic lifting power.
    Still waters run deep.

the craft is one thing. Finding machines takes time and ongoing another. Moving is a whole other adventure and its a moving target at times and you have to adapt. Its not consistent. I upped to my max weight and its not enough as I looked at heavier machines towards 4,000 lbs. Past was 2,600 approx max. Last two had no forklift on pick up, something new as past always a forklift or a way depending on weight. Id still rather pick up when ever possible. Be self sufficient and do it on my own time. This last one put the time in to have a Float and Telehandler to do the pickup and deliver if needed. Plan to upgrade my whole rig and not have to hire.