Thread: Hose woes

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Well, I just finished doing it all over AGAIN. As I said, I had given up and went back to hooking it up with the old really stiff 6" setup, as I needed to use the saws. Hated it, because I would really like to squeeze a shop vac in that corner for the over the blade shroud on the Felder (and make one for the Uni that would attach to my Beis. splitter).

Finally, bit the bullet and crimped the 5" ends of the necessary fittings, which allowed the new 5"" (actual 4 7/8 ID) to work. The only place I could attach the hose directly was the Felder with its metric 5" (120 MM) port. Strange since the hose is made in USA.

Redid the tree with 6 to 5" reducers crimped. This was my hang up in the first place since the crimps are on the intake side, but did it anyway because the hose is clear and I can see possible future clogs.

Now I have a much more flexible hose in that busy corner, and it has enough extra length to allow a shop vac for the overhead in the future. It also allows me to move the Uni sideways a couple feet for occasional use on large stuff. Advice is appreciated, and thanks.

PS: My DC outlet on the UNI is a factory NOS setup with a 5" outlet Jim. I think it may be a bit rare. My Uni is a 1993 with a sloped to one side bottom plate which has a 1" (?) tall full length slot at the bottom and a special factory fixture that ends in a 5" port. All Delta.

Observation: I bought elbows and reducers from Lowes and HD. The ones from Lowes were lighter gage than the ones from HD, definitely flimsier. Neither one was as solid as 10 year old ones from HD, I already had. The best ones naturally, are the ones I got with my spiral pipe, from the HVAC place when I first did the system. I hammered out all the crimps on those elbows and fittings by hand and put crimps on the correct end for suction, rather than blowing.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 04-18-2024 at 2:02 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.