Thread: SC Pig-Picking

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Years ago I was working near Wilmington North Carolina for months and was lucky to find a local restaurant that had the best pork BBQ and Brunswick Stew I ever ate. The seafood in Wilmington was also fantastic and very affordable, lots of seafood restaurants in that area, better then here at home in Hampton roads.

Speaking as a northerner Id have to agree bbq generally means burgers, dogs, maybe kabobs, or grilled chicken. But being partially german we used to do a pig roast at any larger party in which the older relatives would fight over the weirdest parts.. And now for me it is mostly smoking and searing prime steaks so I keep the guest list short. I have smoked a few turkey breasts in the past year. I do have to try a bunch more.

To quote a gent I heard on NPR years ago. "Nothing varies across the US as much as the style of BBQ, but the worst BBQ I've ever had was damn good."

Blog Entries
    When we lived in California our neighbors were from south of the border. Alejandro was in construction. He brought home a piece of water pipe about three feet in diameter. Him and some friends sunk it into the ground. When they had a backyard party (often) they would start some coals in the pit and line a wire basket with agave cactus leaves with a pig in the center. This was usually started the night before or early in the morning. It always came out juicy and tasty.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I have two cookers made from 275 gallon oval oil barrels. Both can use either gas, charcoal, or wood coals. Both have double grates which makes it easy to turn a hog or rack of chickens over. Each year for Campers on Mission ministry, friend and I BBQ about 185# of Boston Butts, using gas for convience.