Thread: Forget 'Baby on board'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes, until cars talk to each other ("Hey, I'm in this lane, don't change lanes into me..."), and of course the Trolley Car problem gets solved (which it won't) this will still be beta. It is very impressive at times having the car drive to a destination 20 miles away, making 50 turns, stopping at stop signs, stop lights, merging onto the highway, etc... But it still makes some mistakes on most drives.

The WSJ recently said that the average age of a car in the US is 12.5 years, and having cars over 200,000 miles is commonplace. In that context, it will be quite a long time until most of this happens. The majority of cars on the road talking to each other: >20 years would be my guess.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I suppose someday 'they' will tell me I can only drive my '55 T-Bird on Saturdays between 5 and 7 AM. Wouldn't want to annoy other 'drivers'.

20171221_115711.jpg
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    I suppose someday 'they' will tell me I can only drive my '55 T-Bird on Saturdays between 5 and 7 AM. Wouldn't want to annoy other 'drivers'.

20171221_115711.jpg
    1.) Wow. Spectacular car.
    2.) The EU just passed a law that slows down speeding cars.
    https://www.autoweek.com/news/indust...uropean-union/
    I guess that makes Porsches, Lamborghinis, and Ferraris irrelevant.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

20171221_115711.jpg
    Neato torpedo car, Rick.

I worked with a man who owned one ('55) in the turquoise blue similar to this:

55 T-Bird.jpg
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

20171221_115711.jpg

Geez, Rick. It only took you four pages until you got to what you really wanted to talk about... (That's about as far from a self-driving Tesla as you can get.)

Does that have custom fenders/ headlight extensions? Looks like the headlights protrude farther forward from the bumper than what I remember or see on other pictures,

Bob T.
    "Don't worry. They couldn't possibly hit us from that dist...."

Just the angle of the pic Bob. It is all original except for a few minor mods. It was built in Sept '54, and is one of the first 250 T-Birds.

That is my grand daughter driving it. She will be graduating with a degree in (honest) Funeral Services. Already does embalming. She also just got engaged to a rocket engineer in Texas.

And yes, I can talk about old cars all day, owned close to 200.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 05-04-2024 at 5:12 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.