Thread: Drawer frame flexing when pulling handle due to large 44" width -possible solutions?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Drawer frame flexing when pulling handle due to large 44" width -possible solutions?

Hello,
    I just built some drawers and I assembled the bottoms without glue. They are floating this was for ease of installation. However I've run into a potential issue down the line. Because the drawers are so wide, when Pulling on the side ( handle) on the half-inch Baltic birch, there is quite a bit of flex. I'm thinking over time this could be an issue especially with the drawer slides. I'm interested to hear and possible solutions.The best I can come up with is to have an additional quarter-inch piece glued to the bottom and a screw in the front and back. This would no longer make the drawers floating. I should mention that the construction is Baltic bird sides as well as the bottom.

Of course I could just screw right through the bottom but I do not know how well that will hold up.

I have not yet installed the drawer fronts. The plan is to make them 5 mm approximately
    .IMG_7421.jpgIMG_7420.jpg
    Last edited by Cory filder; 04-07-2024 at 10:07 PM.