Thread: Installing euro hinges on thicker doors

Question Installing euro hinges on thicker doors

Hi Creekers, I'm building an audio cabinet and using Blum concealed hinges for the doors. They are the Blum 110 degree Blumotion overlay (for the left and right doors, the center door will be inset). I've done this many times before using the Rockler jig at the 5mm setting, and each time came out great. But all of those projects used doors that are 3/4" thick. The doors for this cabinet are 1" thick (actually 15/16"). The frameless cabinet sides are 3/4" thick. In reviewing the install instructions on the Blum website, I see that the location to drill the 35mm hole on the door changes a bit with a thicker door, but beyond that it is as clear as mud. Can anyone tell me how to locate the proper drill center for a 1" thick door? (Not sure why the door thickness matters).

Thanks as always for any assistance!

Len

blum blumotion clip top hinges for thick doors:

https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cate...lum+thick+door

Thanks David, I saw those but the hinges I have are rated for doors up to 1". The ones you linked to open only to 95 degrees, and I still don't see what I need to do differently.

Thanks,
    Len

Is your door overlay? If so, how much overlay do you want? And are you using the 0mm hinge plates? The answers to those questions are involved in determining the bore distance (the 5mm number you mention).

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Is your door overlay? If so, how much overlay do you want? And are you using the 0mm hinge plates? The answers to those questions are involved in determining the bore distance (the 5mm number you mention).
    Two of the three are overlay, and I'd like the door to completely cover the 3/4" cabinet side (frameless).

Quote Originally Posted by Len Rosenberg View Post
    Thanks David, I saw those but the hinges I have are rated for doors up to 1". The ones you linked to open only to 95 degrees, and I still don't see what I need to do differently.

Thanks,
    Len
    they are rated to 1 1/4" thick.

for the overlay application, you might be able to use the zero protrusions:

https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cate...3%2C1364742%29

Door thickness doesn't matter unless you will have two doors abutting each other, or a cabinet against a wall. In that case, the reveal has to increase. But for a one sided 18 mm overlay, the boring distance is still 5 mm if using a 0 mm plate.

John

Two of the three are overlay, and I'd like the door to completely cover the 3/4" cabinet side (frameless).
    To completely cover the 3/4" cabinet side, you need what Blum calls a 110+ hinge. The 110 is the opening degree. The + means it can provide an overlay of 19mm (3/4"). If what you have bought is just a 110 degree hinge, its maximum overlay is 18mm, and that requires a bore distance of 7mm. It also needs a 0mm hinge plate. (You didn't answer my question about that, so I'm guessing it is a 0mm plate.) If you want to use the bore distance you're accustomed to - 5mm - and if you have a 0mm plate, your overlay is 16mm (5/8").

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Door thickness doesn't matter unless you will have two doors abutting each other, or a cabinet against a wall. In that case, the reveal has to increase. But for a one sided 18 mm overlay, the boring distance is still 5 mm if using a 0 mm plate.

John
    oh, of course - for the overlay doors, this is correct, it doesn't matter how thick the door is. the inset is a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    To completely cover the 3/4" cabinet side, you need what Blum calls a 110+ hinge. The 110 is the opening degree. The + means it can provide an overlay of 19mm (3/4"). If what you have bought is just a 110 degree hinge, its maximum overlay is 18mm, and that requires a bore distance of 7mm. It also needs a 0mm hinge plate. (You didn't answer my question about that, so I'm guessing it is a 0mm plate.) If you want to use the bore distance you're accustomed to - 5mm - and if you have a 0mm plate, your overlay is 16mm (5/8").
    Thanks Jamie. I have the 110, not the 110+, and a 0 plate. But I re-measured the cabinet sides and they are just under 18mm (17.7), so the 110s should work. But you say I need a 7mm bore and John T says 5mm for an 18mm overlay. So I'm still a bit confused, although getting closer....

Just do a mockup.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post

John
    Thanks John, you are correct. 5mm worked perfectly with the 110 overlay hinges, the door thickness was irrelevant. And I did not need the 110+ to completely overlay the door frame. However, that was for the outside doors. Now I have to figure out the middle door, which is inset between two strips; for that, I'm sure the door thickness matters. How to adjust for that I don't know yet, any advice appreciated. Thanks everyone for their responses.

Thanks John, you are correct. 5mm worked perfectly with the 110 overlay hinges, the door thickness was irrelevant. And I did not need the 110+ to completely overlay the door frame. However, that was for the outside doors. Now I have to figure out the middle door, which is inset between two strips; for that, I'm sure the door thickness matters. How to adjust for that I don't know yet, any advice appreciated. Thanks everyone for their responses.
    here’s the page w/the info you need:

https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/cata...e=page&page=47