Thread: Shop tidbits...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    After numerous occasions of misplacing tools, finding tools I had forgot I had an not being able to remember why I have a small number of screws in a plastic bag in a drawer I have taken the following approach

(1) Label items using 3M 20 60 tape
    (2) Purchase a small A-Z note book and make a list of items /tools You can then look at the book to refresh your memory( or you could use your computer)
    (3) If anyone borrows a tool consider asking them to hold the tool against their chest and use your mobile phone to photograph them

Son.. No dad I did not borrow your drill driver
    Dad.. Yes you did I have a photograph of you holding it which is time date and location stamped

Additionally I have set up a file on the computer called house In this file I store information for each room in the house
    Eg bathroom
    A short summery of how to replace the tap cartridge and a link to the replacement part

This file will also help the wife when I pass or can be given to a future owner of the property
    Last edited by Brian Deakin; 04-13-2024 at 5:50 AM.

I keep an updated list of everything in my shop, with all the cabinets numbered. When I get something new, I label the cabinet on the outside with a Dymo label, or in the plastic container with that Dymo label, and then put that location in a book.

Does this prevent me from not being able to find things? Not totally, but when I do find it, the location gets written down in that loose leaf book. When there's enough handwritten locations I have written down, I enter them into the Excel spreadsheet and print out a new book.

OCD - perhaps, probably (it was useful keeping people alive at work), but I do spend less time finding things. And don't talk to me about all the documents I scan. Time spent up front, seconds spent searching when you need things.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I just now am reading this thread for the first time, and in the middle, I'm thinking I'll share my new found labeling obsession. Then I get to the end and see that Brian and Alan have beaten me to it.

But yeah, after years of experiencing everything listed above, I do my best to label everything. Maybe with a label maker, maybe with a sharpie on the outside of a box. Gone are the days where I could remember everything I did, why I did it, and what it was for. The other thing I do is when a tool comes with spare parts, they go in a baggie and are labeled exactly what tool they are from and what they are for and then stored in the spare parts drawer with the others. I've had it with *knowing* I have that spare part but not being able to find it.

As stated above, my most cringe worthy moment was making a jig for a task and then later finding I had already made that jig. UGH.

I'm now a labeling fool and have no problem inserting sub-labels with things explaining exactly what needs to be known. That's partly for me and partly for those that may have to deal with what I leave behind.

The other thing is, labels help you remember. As you are looking for something, you see the labels and you are reminded of where things are.

Yea, my labels have gotten "more detailed"... 'cause remembering is harder. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a dymo label maker and have been having issues with the labels sticking well to poly coated cabinet drawers. Also labels are simple one line style. Have you guys found a labeling system that works well for you? I’m curious if you need multiple lines per label or individual type labels
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    I have a dymo label maker and have been having issues with the labels sticking well to poly coated cabinet drawers. Also labels are simple one line style. Have you guys found a labeling system that works well for you? I’m curious if you need multiple lines per label or individual type labels
    I didn't know those were still made. In general, label makers i.e. Brother are the standard- multiple tape colors, print sizes, type faces, etc.. The labels last for many years in the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    I don't have any issues with labels from my P-Touch sticking to anything, for the most part.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

wash the surface with alcohol, let dry then apply the label.
    Ron

I have a Brother P-Touch Cube label printer, and the labels stick very well to most things. You can get models that will do 2, 5 or up to 17 lines per label. Mine is the 5 line model. It uses an app on your phone to design the labels and prints via Bluetooth.

Derek

John K Jordan posted the idea of using 3M 2060 tape to label items and other uses

It is expensive but I find it very useful You simply write on it using a sharpie or similar and attach it to the item
    It is very useful for labeling items in plastic bags
    Example I am repairing a bathroom light and waiting for a ballast to arrive I have put the holding screws in a plastic bag and used the 2060 tape to label them