Thread: Virtual Tours with Google Street View

Virtual Tours with Google Street View

Have you ever played around with Google Street View? When I was a kid I was fascinated with maps. Now for years I've played with Google Street View. It's so incredible isn't it? To be able to virtually drive by houses I lived in years ago is so amazing.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Today this aerial view of Puerto De La Cruz, Tenerife came up on my news feed. Within 1 minute I was able to find Google street view and tour that crowded city. Amazing

"Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

A few years ago the niece of my boss was living in Europe, she took a picture looking out of her balcony overlooking a small park. With only knowing the city I could find the park based on the geometry of it. Within minutes I had a "street view" of what I thought was her home. Via text messages she did concur that it was actually her exact home I had found.

Is Google Street View different from Google Earth? I travel all over the planet with Google earth. It is captivating.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I've used Google street view numerous times to get a confirmation on an address or to see what a location looked like. Of course they don't have every road and street mapped but most of them are. It can be useful for certain.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post

Have you ever played around with Google Street View? When I was a kid I was fascinated with maps. Now for years I've played with Google Street View. It's so incredible isn't it? To be able to virtually drive by houses I lived in years ago is so amazing.
    I've done that with the house I grew up in for the first 6-7 years of my life. For a long time, it was pretty depressing as it became a "dump" from a lot of neglect. A few years ago, someone bought the property and did a lot of refurb and transformed it back into a beautiful structure, at least on the outside. I'll presume they did similar on the inside. The one question that will always be in my mind is whether or not the extensive and beautiful butternut woodwork throughout was preserved over time, but I suspect not...it likely got trashed during all those years that the property was not cared for very well. This was a bungalow style home that had a lot of character "back in the day" along with several neighboring homes of similar design.

I have to chuckle about the current Street View of our current property here...the cameras caught our original dog trainer's vehicle in the drive along with my own. But otherwise, it's at least current with how we have the property, the fence and my shop in the back.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The google mapping (map and street view) is really amazing.
    I veiw google earth often to get the lay of the land when going new places.
    I also like the historical feature of GE, looking at how things have changed over the years.

I do the same sometimes, Edward, when I need to navigate to an address for some event or appointment that I've never been to before in an area that's less familiar. Knowing what an address actually looks like from the street is a really convenient thing for that "last mile" thing for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Is Google Street View different from Google Earth? I travel all over the planet with Google earth. It is captivating.
    it’s part of google earth. There is an on screen icon of a person you click to go to street view. When you do all the available streets will be highlighted. Just click the location you desire and you will be able to look around and zoom in and navigate around. Navigation isn't really great. At least that’s how it works On an iPad. It’s interesting. I just revisited a charming sea side village in England called Sennen(?) Cove we were fortunate to luck into on a drive a few years ago.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weber View Post
    it’s part of google earth. There is an on screen icon of a person you click to go to street view. When you do all the available streets will be highlighted. Just click the location you desire and you will be able to look around and zoom in and navigate around. Navigation isn't really great. At least that’s how it works On an iPad. It’s interesting. I just revisited a charming sea side village in England called Sennen(?) Cove we were fortunate to luck into on a drive a few years ago.
    Thanks, I've been using it that way for years. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something new.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    The feature of walking around inside some buildings has either gone away or I am not up to speed on the latest version. Google Earth is an excellent way to be an armchair adventurer.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I've used Street View for the same reason as some others--to get a visual of a new place i'm going to. I've been using Google Earth since i found it several years ago--often just to noodle around. At one time, my vehicle was in 4 different places on GE...in my driveway, at my office, fire station parking lot (i was a vollie), and at Lucas Oil Raceway (Indianapolis, i was working safety for a top fuel dragster test session). All 4 were within a week--was just a bit weird to see my Jeep in that many places at seemingly the same time!!

Interesting spot to look at on Google Earth--a mile-long stand of pine trees spelling out "STUDEBAKER" near South Bend, IN. Purportedly the world's largest outdoor advertisement as some time in history, very few people in our area even know it's there. A search for "Bendix Woods Park" or "Navistar Proving Grounds" should get you pretty close. (several years ago, a movie producer was looking for a race track that would resemble Indianapolis Motor Speedway's early days--i pulled up a shot on the Navistar test track--which began life as a Studebaker test track--and she thought it was perfect. I have no idea what happened after that--but it was one of many great memories of working racing events!!)

STUDEBAKER Trees. Overgrown but still awesome.

41°40'09.22" N 86°29'27.02" W

Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    After spending way too much time on Google Earth it is clear to me that the age of humans (AKA Anthropocene) is reality.
    Best Regards, Maurice