Thread: DeWalt 5" 8 hole random orbit sander, H&L sanding discs not adhering very long

DeWalt 5" 8 hole random orbit sander, H&L sanding discs not adhering very long

So I have to frequently change out sanding discs, well before they are anywhere close to warn out. How do I tell if its the pad on the sander or just worn out (the Velcro part) sanding discs? They are 3M hook and loop100 grit discs? The sander is about 6 years old. Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

For my 5" Mirka there is an intermediate thin pad, hook on one side and loop on the other. It goes on the sander to cure exactly the problem you describe. The company thinks of them as a consumable, though mine last for several years. Look up "Mirka pad protector" on the net. I expect it would work on other brands. There is also something called an "interface pad", but that is a thicker sponge used for rounded surfaces.

Terry T.

The pads on the sander do wear out to the point that they won't hold anything. I keep spares because you don't know until discs start flying.

I use "9955 5" Abranet Grip Faced (Hook and Loop) Pad Protector - 5 per pack". It really saves the backer. I am still using the original backing pad on my sander (prob 10 yrs old by now).

A lot of people put too much pressure down on the sander and that prematurely causes velcro wear. The heat generated doesn't help. 5 years is really good for tiny little hooks to work. Buy a new pad and let the sander do the work, don't force it.

The hook and loop pad on the sander is a "disposable/wear item" and will need to get replaced from time to time. Why? Heat from friction starts to damage the little "hooks", etc., to the point that they start to be ineffective at holding the material. This is especially true when the operator tends to press down while sanding rather than just guiding the tool's movement without applying much pressure. This is also not brand specific...it's the nature of sanders. I've had to replace the pads on my Festool sanders a few times since I bought them in the mid-2000s.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks to all, guess I buy a new pad. Had no idea they "wear". Guess I should be happy it lasted this long. Definitely throwing discs......... Randy
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

I think I saw them at HD.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Sanders 2.jpg
    One of these guys has 60 grit, the other has 240. I rarely need anything else. Not switching paper seems to extend the life of the H&L and it makes the work go better.

240 grit, sand sand sand,,oh there's a spot,, 60 for 10 seconds then back to 240.

Blog Entries
    We never run discs till they are worn out. You’re just adding more pressure and sanding time to the sander. Discs are cheap, change them when they stop performing…

Yeah the backing plates wear out. On my 5" Bosch, I'm on my third. And I don't use it much, preferring the belt and the 1/4 sheet orbital combination.