Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horizontal Boring Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Michael, the Kolle machine had a removable stop with locating dowels that could be set on either side of the table at various locations.
    you could possibly fabricate something like this then use a spacer for the second hole. This would at least solve outside corner drilling.
    Attachment 517611
    Thank you. I have a fence set up on my Davis Wells where I can index my pieces quickly and it works. It isn't as fast as drilling both holes at once.

Quote Originally Posted by John Pendery View Post
    Michael, I agree the domino is expensive. I started out framing and trimming out custom homes, and on a job site setting a domino is indispensable, in the shop it doesn’t get used as much, but some use it exclusively and it certainly creates good strong joinery quickly. Similarly, it took me way too long to realize my miter saw was a colossal waste of space in my shop, but absolutely necessary on a job site.

Anyway, looks like I have that Ritter coming my way. I think he just wanted the machine out of his shop, and for the price he was offering it at it didn’t make sense to turn it dow. I’ve also seen his work, and it is very high end, so if I can’t figure out a way to make it useful I suppose that’s on me! I don’t see this as a dream machine, but will put it to immediate use, and hope to one day stumble across a nice Maka mortiser to complement the horizontal drill.

I picked up my Davis Wells for really cheap many years ago. It had taken a tumble so the spindle movement, in and out, was really crunchy. I was able to get it back into working order by replacing the bearings which where themselves very cheap (same bearings commonly used in roller skates). Luckily no other damage was done. I use mine enough that I don't want to get rid of it.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 03-28-2024 at 9:11 PM.