Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are your tools dangerous?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    When I was a framing carpenter, the most dangerous and most common dangerous tool was . . . .

The hammer.

No joke, the straight claw ones hit guys in the head. The 22oz waffle headed ones crushed fingers.
    Regards,

Tom

More people use ladders than tablesaws. I am not sure how you can argue that a tablesaw is not an inherently dangerous tool.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    More people use ladders than tablesaws. I am not sure how you can argue that a tablesaw is not an inherently dangerous tool.
    If you use the tool as it's designed to be used, it is not dangerous, IMO.
    When the operator does something he/she shouldn't, is usually problems occur. The wood sometimes contributes but most of the time it's humans.

I just don't view tools as dangerous or safe like some do.

I have a chainsaw with a three foot bar and an exacto knife, which one is more dangerous? which one have I cut myself with?

Everything in my shop can injure you in one way or another if used improperly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    If you use the tool as it's designed to be used, it is not dangerous, IMO.
    When the operator does something he/she shouldn't, is usually problems occur. The wood sometimes contributes but most of the time it's humans.

I just don't view tools as dangerous or safe like some do.

I have a chainsaw with a three foot bar and an exacto knife, which one is more dangerous? which one have I cut myself with?

Everything in my shop can injure you in one way or another if used improperly.
    Exactly. You just confirmed that it's inherently dangerous to operate. Like firearms, chainsaws, explosives, etc.

I do lots of inherently dangerous things. I just never blow off that they're dangerous. That, is a bad combination.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Exactly. You just confirmed that it's inherently dangerous to operate. Like firearms, chainsaws, explosives, etc.

I do lots of inherently dangerous things. I just never blow off that they're dangerous. That, is a bad combination.
    I don't quite follow your logic and I don't "blow off" safety for any tool.

I just don't view tools as being dangerous, as in being worried about injury.
    I try to understand all I can about how tools work and then there is less of a cause for concern.
    A tool after all, is an intimate object and only does what the operator makes it do, this is what makes it dangerous or not, IMO

I don't quite follow your logic and I don't "blow off" safety for any tool.

I just don't view tools as being dangerous, as in being worried about injury.
    I try to understand all I can about how tools work and then there is less of a cause for concern.
    A tool after all, is an intimate object and only does what the operator makes it do, this is what makes it dangerous or not, IMO
    If a tool isn't inherently dangerous to operate, no training is required to use one without injury. I don't go off saying that scuba diving isn't dangerous because I'm trained to do so. Because I'm trained to do so I KNOW it's dangerous. I wear safety equipment when downhill mountain biking, or when climbing, etc. Why? Because they're inherently dangerous activities.

I don't understand the whole point of trying to whitewash an activity as 'completely safe'. Unless you're not using the equipment. Then sure, it's "safe".
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

There is no question that the operators of table saws are dangerous. My point being that used when tired, used carelessly, or having your attention lag when doing a large number of repetitive motions all people can generate potential accidents. When my son bought his house and started to build up a basement shop we gave him a contractor style table saw as a Christmas/birthday present some 20+ years ago. Yes, his birthday is unfortunately December 28th. The day I helped him set it up we had a safety discussion and particularly concentrated on the dangers of ripping operations. I brought along a 4 foot long piece of scrap polyethylene from work about a foot wide and an inch thick. I made him stand in the danger zone holding a piece of plywood covering him from the neck to crotch. I used the polyfoam to induce a kickback which hit him just above the waist. I have since suggested this type of demo to friends teaching new users. It is a real attention getter and clearly shows the speed at which something bad can happen.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

If a tool isn't inherently dangerous to operate, no training is required to use one without injury. I don't go off saying that scuba diving isn't dangerous because I'm trained to do so. Because I'm trained to do so I KNOW it's dangerous. I wear safety equipment when downhill mountain biking, or when climbing, etc. Why? Because they're inherently dangerous activities.

I don't understand the whole point of trying to whitewash an activity as 'completely safe'. Unless you're not using the equipment. Then sure, it's "safe".
    Exactly, Mike. I don't quite understand the 'inanimate' argument either. I mean yea a bike or table saw isn't dangerous until you use it, but "dangerous", to me, means what can happen to me when using it...I mean what else is there? I never thought about my DH rig being dangerous sitting in the garage, but I'm not all geared up for nothing because I don't think the act of using it isn't LOL. That categorized mindset will get you hurt, even if you're an "expert". Which, by the way, I raced super-D and cyclocross for 10 years as Cat II/III and this "expert" ate plenty of dirt.

All power tools are inherently dangerous and, while we all believe we are constantly trying to use them safely and have spent time learning how to use them safely, we all make mistakes. If we're fortunate and the mistakes only involve remaking a project part, then there is no problem except spending additional time and money to remake the piece. However, it only takes a fraction of a second of the user's mind to be drawn elsewhere to create a dangerous situation with any power tool. I once was using a belt sander early in my woodworking journey. The belt sander caught my shirt, pulled the sander into my stomach and quite a layer of skin was taken off. It was stupid (at least I felt it was) because I should not have been wearing a baggy shirt at the time. I learned, of course, one thing not to do when using a belt sander (although belt sanders aren't a significant part of my woodworking anymore). That same sort of misstep can happen with any power tool. So, are tools dangerous? Of course, but we all try to use them in a way that doesn't cause us permanent injury (any injury really).

There was an entertaining story in Harper's magazine years ago about blue jean injuries.

Compiled from emergency room reports in the UK, it included ironing the jeans while wearing them, and a common one was face plant while walking with hands in the pockets.

thanks Joe, couldnt really tell. I saw the negative rake and got that. In the real world ive had to use them enough times with no negative Rake. The british guy that taught us keep the arm straight was right. Probably the only thing learned from him. Sitting with a coffee and my brain is starting to fire ive had two hands on them past as well but mostly one arm straight. It works and ive proven it enough times, it can creep when you do that. You tell what the saw what to do not the other way around.

What is your knife projection on the tersa?. Photo 2b looks like Tersa and its 1.1 MM which is 43.3 thousands of an inch which is .0433. I see they also show high speed steel 2a the same at 1.1mm. I always set to .050 so im right on track. stopped using wood blocks and went with a dial. You dont know what your knife projection is with wood blocks.

That sounds about right Warren. I have a Tersa drawing somewhere, when I get a chance I’ll look for it. Two totally different animals though if you are trying to compare to a normal straight knife head.

thanks Larry makes sense, it was not major, the cut quality decreasing was relevant and not major but heard a different sound. its interesting that I found a number and its the same as what they have for added safety. I think I went lower and it was loading up more. Too long ago to remember. I stick all the time to that number. Also easy as its one full rotation of the dial.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 04-05-2024 at 10:12 AM.

I know some of you will pick apart every word no matter what I say but I'll say it anyway.
    ANYTHING can be considered dangerous if used improperly, I think we've at least established that. A pillow can be dangerous if used improperly, yet most of us sleep with one.
    People are what make tools dangerous, for innumerable reasons.
    "If a tool isn't inherently dangerous to operate, no training is required to use one without injury."
    Interesting view, Does everyone who buys/uses tools get training or is everyone with a tool in imitate danger of somehow injuring themselves?

My point is that I do not consciously think, "now I'm going to use the tablesaw, possibly the most dangerous tool in the shop" That's ludicrous. For me tools are useful and to be respected, not feared. Use them as they're designed to be used and follow any and all safety precautions applicable to you. If you do that, most all perceived potential "dangers" can be easily avoided. Everyone should be aware of what could happen when using tools, the more you know the better off you are,
    While I don't dismiss any dangers that could happen, I don't dwell on it.
    I also don't think I ever said "completely safe" that's just false. I'm also not whitewashing anything, it's just my personal viewpoint.
    I'm not trying to label the machine one way or another, I'm talking about a frame of mind.

I know some of you will pick apart every word no matter what I say but I'll say it anyway.
    ANYTHING can be considered dangerous if used improperly, I think we've at least established that. A pillow can be dangerous if used improperly, yet most of us sleep with one.
    People are what make tools dangerous, for innumerable reasons.
    "If a tool isn't inherently dangerous to operate, no training is required to use one without injury."
    Interesting view, Does everyone who buys/uses tools get training or is everyone with a tool in imitate danger of somehow injuring themselves?

My point is that I do not consciously think, "now I'm going to use the tablesaw, possibly the most dangerous tool in the shop" That's ludicrous. For me tools are useful and to be respected, not feared. Use them as they're designed to be used and follow any and all safety precautions applicable to you. If you do that, most all perceived potential "dangers" can be easily avoided. Everyone should be aware of what could happen when using tools, the more you know the better off you are,
    While I don't dismiss any dangers that could happen, I don't dwell on it.
    I also don't think I ever said "completely safe" that's just false. I'm also not whitewashing anything, it's just my personal viewpoint.
    I'm not trying to label the machine one way or another, I'm talking about a frame of mind.
    No disrespect Edward, but there is a lot of "fluff" in here that while I agree in principal with some of it, your original post was "Are your tools dangerous?" The simple answer is yes. If you don't like that answer and continue to post and force others to defend their reasoning be prepared to have those replies picked apart as is the nature of forums.