Thread: Are your tools dangerous?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I do hand and power woodworking, blacksmithing and metal machining, hobbies all and at home. I was greatly amused when I had to fill out a form at my doctor's. One question was "is there anything dangerous in your home?". I asked if I could have extra pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven O Smith View Post
    I do hand and power woodworking, blacksmithing and metal machining, hobbies all and at home. I was greatly amused when I had to fill out a form at my doctor's. One question was "is there anything dangerous in your home?". I asked if I could have extra pages.
    Next time list - toilet(s).

There were 40,000 toilet related accidents last year.
    Compared to - 30,000 table saw related accidents.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Next time list - toilet(s).

There were 40,000 toilet related accidents last year.
    Compared to - 30,000 table saw related accidents.
    Trying to be thorough, I looked up some stats.
    PTI estimates that are approx 9.5 million tabesaws in use in the U.S.
    There are approx between 30,000 and 40,000 TS accidents per year in the U.S. (Depending on your source)
    A horrible statistic to be sure but from a strictly numbers perspective, that's only about 1/2 of a percent of users having accidents.
    This also goes to why there aren't more safety standard on power tools, the numbers just don't justify it in many cases.
    I certainly don't know where the tipping point is but less than 1% is not a strong position to bargain from.