Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Shaper Under $5000?

Best Shaper Under $5000?

Hey everyone I have a nice router table, but I've been thinking of upgrading to a shaper. I'm thinking 5hp would be ideal, but I'm not sure what other features exactly I should be looking for.

There are 3 that seem like a good fit and I'm hoping to get some feedback based on their specs and/or personal experiences. I'm also open to other recommendations of course:

Laguna Pro
    https://www.woodcraft.com/products/l...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Oliver - Seems like a steal at this price
    https://www.elitemetaltools.com/tool...gaApi_EALw_wcB

Hammer - I like the slider but it's only 4hp and costs $5k
    https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/p...per-f3-p421957

Thanks everyone for the help!

I have the Laguna Pro 5hp. I had a Grizzly 1026 before. I believe a shaper lives and dies by the fence. I love the fence on the Laguna and hated the one on the Grizzly. The Oliver fence looks similar to the Laguna. The Hammer has a tilting spindle but I don't know how much I would use that. If you have any specific questions on the Laguna let me know.

There is never a "best", just one that has the features someone likes. Your listing of 3 proves the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    There is never a "best", just one that has the features someone likes. Your listing of 3 proves the point.
    Yea I guess I'm wondering from people that know more about shapers than I do what features or pros some of these have that actually matter to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have the Laguna Pro 5hp. I had a Grizzly 1026 before. I believe a shaper lives and dies by the fence. I love the fence on the Laguna and hated the one on the Grizzly. The Oliver fence looks similar to the Laguna. The Hammer has a tilting spindle but I don't know how much I would use that. If you have any specific questions on the Laguna let me know.
    Yea I tend to agree on the tilting. I'm sure it is cool, but probably not super useful for me. Thanks for the info on the Laguna. Seems like a solid unit.

Where are you located? Are you set on a new machine? Do you have three phase available?

I’m asking because you’re likely to be able to get a into a really nice older euro machine at that price point.

Blog Entries
    I have had one w a tilting head for 9 months or so. I haven't used the tilting head yet but I would have used the sliding bed if it had one for stiles.

So I would put that higher on the list. But then again I can always buy an aftermarket solution for the sliding bed but I can't add a tilting head later.

Also a shaper without a power feeder wouldn't be using it to its full potential.

I'm not a shaper expert yet. Just made cab doors, locking miter joints, a template setup, and some shiplap so far. But the power feed is key even with manual feed tooling.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Crivello View Post
    Where are you located? Are you set on a new machine? Do you have three phase available?

I’m asking because you’re likely to be able to get a into a really nice older euro machine at that price point.
    I'm in Richmond VA. I've looked around quite a bit and haven't really found a good machine near me. Has to be single phase unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    I'm in Richmond VA. I've looked around quite a bit and haven't really found a good machine near me. Has to be single phase unfortunately.
    Josh, I’m in Richmond ,now retired . There used to be a place that sold used machines. Don’t if there is one now. All the shops bought
    used stuff when I was working.

I have a BusyBee (Grizzly) # 1026 . A Powermatic #26 clone. Real shapers have 5hp motors,1 1/4" shafts and power feeds. Ones like mine are merely serious hobby machines. I re-machined the fence system, it needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Looks nice but it is 3phase and 400 miles away from OP.

The Oliver is just one made in China with a Oliver tag glued on. I have no idea about quality and features. I would not be surprised if Grizzly does not sell the same one at lower prices including reasonable shipping.
    Only harry home shop here but I think a sliding table would be very nice. A tilting spindle seems nice but adds more to adjust and fall out of alinement.
    Very seriously look at used. Not much to go wrong on a shaper unless you need cnc control on spindle height.
    Bill D.

To get quality, 5hp up, you need to use a VFD and get a three phase machine. Or you can swap out the motor for about the same cost. A vfd will give you soft start and braking.
    Bill D.
    just to show cost range with feeder. No way I would use a 7.5hp without a feeder
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/35550166833...ampid%3APL_CLK

https://www.ebay.com/itm/29628991000...temCondition=4
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-23-2024 at 10:53 PM.

To get quality 5hp up you need to use a VFD and get a three phase machine. On ebay today a 7.5 Hp VFD is around $200. Or you can swap out the motor for a used one at about double the cost. A vfd will give you soft start and braking.
    The Oliver and Laguna look identical to me except for switch placement
    Bill D.
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 03-23-2024 at 10:51 PM.