Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Shaper Under $5000?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    I have had one w a tilting head for 9 months or so. I haven't used the tilting head yet but I would have used the sliding bed if it had one for stiles.

So I would put that higher on the list. But then again I can always buy an aftermarket solution for the sliding bed but I can't add a tilting head later.

Also a shaper without a power feeder wouldn't be using it to its full potential.

I'm not a shaper expert yet. Just made cab doors, locking miter joints, a template setup, and some shiplap so far. But the power feed is key even with manual feed tooling.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

I have a BusyBee (Grizzly) # 1026 . A Powermatic #26 clone. Real shapers have 5hp motors,1 1/4" shafts and power feeds. Ones like mine are merely serious hobby machines. I re-machined the fence system, it needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Looks nice but it is 3phase and 400 miles away from OP.

thats a good price to run a VFD and solve three phase. Not sure if you need a locking nut or washer if you are using that braking. i wouldnt say you need a feeder for 7.5 HP any HP can whack you. I have feeders and dont always use them. I like hand feeding. What matters is if your set up and how safe it is or not. Id like to have tilt but dont. There are ways around it depending on the cut.

Josh, I would encourage you to look into vfd’s and phase converters especially if you plan to buy more or replace machines in the future. Three phase machines open up a different world of quality and (if patient) bang for your buck.

That shaper Larry posted is a great example. Nice heavy machine with a great power feeder. I’m also a big fan of Ed. He’s a extremely trustworthy guy that sells clean machines priced fairly.

I’ve had my eye on that Unitronics sliding table shaper on woodweb. Looks almost like a copy of a Martin T23. I don’t know much about them besides a little reading online, but that might also be a good value machine.

Sorry if this has gone off on a three phase tangent, Josh!

Quote Originally Posted by John Pendery View Post
    Josh, I would encourage you to look into vfd’s and phase converters especially if you plan to buy more or replace machines in the future. Three phase machines open up a different world of quality and (if patient) bang for your buck.

That shaper Larry posted is a great example. Nice heavy machine with a great power feeder. I’m also a big fan of Ed. He’s a extremely trustworthy guy that sells clean machines priced fairly.

I’ve had my eye on that Unitronics sliding table shaper on woodweb. Looks almost like a copy of a Martin T23. I don’t know much about them besides a little reading online, but that might also be a good value machine.

Sorry if this has gone off on a three phase tangent, Josh!
    Ha Hey John yea I tend to get the 3 phase comments a lot when asking about machines. I'm open to it, but it just seems like a hell of an expense for more power that I'm just not sure does me much good. When I priced it out it was about $2k per machine if I was looking at it correctly. I'm open to used machines, but to be honest some of the older ones that are hard to find information on and the companies aren't easy to contact or get help from if there are problems do worry me. I'm not an engineer and I absolutely hate tinkering with machines and calibrating them. So for me unless it's in amazing condition it's hard to want to go used just to save a few grand if it leads to lots of time wasted. I know for some guys they really enjoying that part of the process, but I suck at it. All of that is to say that I wouldn't rule it out, but if for the same price or just a grand more I can get a 5hp single phase that isn't as beefy but certainly does what I need it to do then I would probably go with a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Baldwin View Post
    Ha Hey John yea I tend to get the 3 phase comments a lot when asking about machines. I'm open to it, but it just seems like a hell of an expense for more power that I'm just not sure does me much good. When I priced it out it was about $2k per machine if I was looking at it correctly. I'm open to used machines, but to be honest some of the older ones that are hard to find information on and the companies aren't easy to contact or get help from if there are problems do worry me. I'm not an engineer and I absolutely hate tinkering with machines and calibrating them. So for me unless it's in amazing condition it's hard to want to go used just to save a few grand if it leads to lots of time wasted. I know for some guys they really enjoying that part of the process, but I suck at it. All of that is to say that I wouldn't rule it out, but if for the same price or just a grand more I can get a 5hp single phase that isn't as beefy but certainly does what I need it to do then I would probably go with a new one.

Josh, those are very fair points and good to know where you want to spend your time. $2k per machine is way high though. Bill is correct in his reply. Rotary phase converters (or phase perfect for a bit more) are whole shop solutions where you do some simple wiring from single phase panel to the converter and then to a three phase panel that can power multiple machines. VFD’s are good solutions for individual machines and cost a couple hundred bucks. A very hands off option for VFD’s is offered by Jack Forsberg. Might be worth shooting him an email if you want to check into it. Nothing wrong with wanting to stick to single phase new machines, but I’d at least look into all options.

Blog Entries
    Look for used euro like the SAC on woodweb Larry posted. You can't have too heavy or too many hp on a shaper. Tilt is nice, sliding tables are ok. I've stalled 6hp, but not 9hp.

As a point of reference I didn't spend 4k total for the 3 shapers I have (all are 3ph) with feeders, and under 5k with vfds included.

There may be another advantage to 3 phase if you hate working on machines. When you hear about troubles with single phase electric motors there are often 2 culprits; capacitors and centrifugal switches. 3 phase motors have neither. On startup the surge should be less with 3 phase so easier on the building's electrical system. VFDs can be programmed for rate of acceleration, I think the one I bought defaulted to 10 seconds. At that rate there would be hardly any start surge.

[QUOTE=

[/QUOTE]

I have a Unitronix double spindle and they are indeed a copy of Martin. The hoods are almost identical. They are HEAVY, mine weighs over 4000# with the feeder They use greasable bearings rather than the pump/oil system of Martin but I don't have a problem with that. There is a grease block on the front that has lines running to all the moving parts including bearings. I am extremely happy with mine, and I wish I had room for the one you are looking at, don't have a sliding table.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    I have a Unitronix double spindle and they are indeed a copy of Martin. The hoods are almost identical. They are HEAVY, mine weighs over 4000# with the feeder They use greasable bearings rather than the pump/oil system of Martin but I don't have a problem with that. There is a grease block on the front that has lines running to all the moving parts including bearings. I am extremely happy with mine, and I wish I had room for the one you are looking at, don't have a sliding table.
    The dffa5 tilting unit with side table that was for sale awhile back was (listed) surprisingly light at 1400lbs.
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 03-25-2024 at 11:46 AM.

If you decide on the Laguna, here is the same machine different color at a lower price.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/gri...e-shaper/g0900

A static phase converter looses about 1/3 of the hp. A true vfd loses no power. A rotary may lose a few percent.
    Bill D

I have a Felder 700 saw/shaper, and i think that is a perfectly adequate machine for what you are looking to do. I made a bunch of flooring and ceiling for my timberframe shed, cope/stick stuff, pattern cuts, and recreated some 100+ year custom mouldings for my uncle's home. I would use it more if it was a freestanding shaper, which is why i havent done much tenoning work on the shaper. It is a little easier to make tenons through other methods versus moving the saw arm guard, lifting the shaper hood in place, swapping DC etc. I think it is their 5.5hp unit with variable speed. Like others said, you can and will spend a lot on tooling. Even the most basic setup of some groovers and a euro block will set you back more than a grand. Add on a feeder, and i would either up your budget or look to the used market. If you go the latter route, you should absolutely find a good machine for your needs under budget. I love oversized and unnecessary machines, but i dont think you need a 9hp top of the line shaper for patterning and cabinet doors. I think Hammer/minimax would probably be fine, but a midrange SCM/Felder is your cry once/buy once option. That previously linked SAC machine is another decent example of what to look for.

One thing i would mention is i originally sold my router table thinking the shaper would replace it. I then had to buy another router table a year or two later. Some operations--typically the quick ones--are still better off on the router table. For example, i would do a quick double-side taped template on the router table, but would build a jig for the shaper. Similarly, a quick roundover on the router table is very simple versus more setup time on the shaper.