Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Is the cost of anything not going up?

OK. I'll stop now.

Not sure citing a group that describes themselves as "counter-cultural offensive against the forces of Leftism, feminism and modernism.... " is taking climate change seriously. How about citing a serious scientific body to support your position that we are moving too fast on climate change?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    How about citing a serious scientific body to support your position that we are moving too fast on climate change?
    I might be the only person on the planet who thinks that. It's still my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Zellers View Post
    We have satellites that see every storm now. Many (most?) of them fizzle out. But it gets a name when in the past few would have even been aware of it.
    That is pretty much exactly what I said in the portion you redacted. If you don't want to compare current data to historical data, don't. But there are decades of current (i.e. satellite) data available for analysis, not to mention trivially simple ways to resolve conflicts in data collection methods for older data.

(Hint: the mere number of named storms is not a factor in any meaningful analysis of trends in hurricane number/strength.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    That is pretty much exactly what I said in the portion you redacted.
    Yep. I see that. My bad. I fall victim to that which I criticize. Too much multi-tasking on my end. I'm at the same time learning how to grow potatoes in pots.

Yep. I see that. My bad. I fall victim to that which I criticize. Too much multi-tasking on my end. I'm at the same time learning how to grow potatoes in pots.
    I give you credit given for admitting your mistake, too many are incapable of doing that. Never tried growing potatoes in or out of a pot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    (Hint: the mere number of named storms is not a factor in any meaningful analysis of trends in hurricane number/strength.)
    I will take your word that is true but I constantly see articles in the media with the phrase "More named storms than ever in the history of record keeping" There is a battle going on now between the right and left and truth be damned.

Sorry, I said I'd stop droning on and on.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Never tried growing potatoes in or out of a pot.
    Oh man- it's subtle but spuds fresh out of the ground are awesome.

Hey- maybe I can turn this thing into a gardening thread.

Oh man- it's subtle but spuds fresh out of the ground are awesome.

Hey- maybe I can turn this thing into a gardening thread.
    Really getting off topic but hey, why not. When I was a kid we rented a cottage in Port Elgin Ontario that backed on to a farm. The field behind us was a potato field and the farmer had harvested the crop mechanically which left lot's of small potatoes behind. We went out and picked a few dozen and yes, much better fresh out of the ground.

Allrightythen! My BIL lives on 26 acres right next to a corn farmer in Ohio. Every year, as soon as they have harvested the field they let my BIL know to come in and help themselves to the edges which for them is an endless supply of fresh corn for weeks. Heaven. Growing potatoes in large pots or fabric bags is the latest thing. I have high hopes for this year.