Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question on Double Square tool quality

Question on Double Square tool quality

Hi,

I was trying to purchase a descent Double square and I seem to be having some issues with tool quality. I have gotten 2 Lee Valley units and when I push adjustable square cleanly to either end and tighten knurled knob and then test the square against my other squares, they are not showing a clean 90 degrees. I returned the Lee Valley square and then purchased a Starrett 13A Double Square (which was about twice the price of the Lee Valley squares) and the same issue happened.

I compared the Double square against my Starrett combo square, a fixed engineering square and both of my Woodpecker fixed squares - and all are off by ~1/32nd of an inch. So I've returned the Starrett now.

When I compare my other squares against one another they are fine - no gaps.

Is not possible to get an accurate Double square? Perhaps I am not being realistic in my expectations. I've attached a few pictures of the comparisons.

thanks for your advice

'mark

IMG_7080.jpgIMG_7075.jpgIMG_7076.jpg

unexceptable. I am surprised a Starret left the factory that far off. Mitutoyo. or old lufkin, brown and sharpe, Fowler, Scherr Tumico probably others i am forgetting.
    BilL D

From the last 2 pictures it looks like the squares are adjustable, if so, why not adjust to square and if it holds keep the square? I agree, they should be square from the factory, but in the end if they can be adjusted to square and hold it, isn't that all that matters?

EDIT, my goof, I was looking at the screws on the Woodpecker square, forget my post.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 03-19-2024 at 12:57 AM. Reason: tried to delete when I realized my mistake but forum won't let me

Some of the Starrette small squares had a small screw to slightly move them out of “square” . They were mainly for patternmakers.
    I suggest calling Starrette. The one I had or have….didn’t get much use, but I’m sure about the adjustment. Call Them .

You should not test a square with a square. Who knows which one is good. https://paulsellers.com/2011/12/chec...es-squareness/

To check a square that you suspect is out of square- put it up against say the edge of top table saw and draw a straight line. Then rotate the square 180* put it against line you just made. If it’s off the error will double which makes it easier to see. Wish I could explain better with illustration

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    To check a square that you suspect is out of square- put it up against say the edge of top table saw and draw a straight line. Then rotate the square 180* put it against line you just made. If it’s off the error will double which makes it easier to see. Wish I could explain better with illustration
    Do this. I buy cheapo squares, and they've all passed this test. They might be 1/1000th of an inch off, but within the thickness of the line of my marking gauge, and good enough for woodworking.

I've noticed that on adjustable squares, they have to extend to, or better yet past, the edge or they won't be square. But it looks like you're doing that. You might try pushing it past the edge just a hair and try again. I always leave a little lip sticking out the back. 1/64th should be fine. The corner could be rounded slightly and setting it off or something.

But if it fails that, I'd send it back again. No use spending that much money on something you can't trust. Especially when you can buy a cheapo that's reliable.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    unexceptable. I am surprised a Starret left the factory that far off. Mitutoyo. or old lufkin, brown and sharpe, Fowler, Scherr Tumico probably others i am forgetting.
    BilL D
    Was Brown and Sharpe a good mfger? I bought an old BS indicator off eBay it was NOT a well made indicator. Made me question my own thought that Brown and Sharpe was a good brand.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Blog Entries
    I've had good luck w/ PEC (and it's cheaper)
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Starret has just been bought out. Hope they stay in Orange.

Mark, for all you know the Woodpecker may be faulty. The ONLY true way to check a square is the flip-and-mark method.

Having said this, the three Starretts I have are all square: 4", 6" and 12" ....

The absolutely BEST squares assured for accuracy are made by Chris Vesper. They are essentially machinist squares. I have a 4" and 7" ....

Failing these, Chris Wong's Magic Square is the go ....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dB0MBG...nnel=ChrisWong

Regards from Perth

Derek

Yes, never compare a square against a square. Well, if you want accuracy.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Mark, for all you know the Woodpecker may be faulty. The ONLY true way to check a square is the flip-and-mark method.

Having said this, the three Starretts I have are all square: 4", 6" and 12" ....

The absolutely BEST squares assured for accuracy are made by Chris Vesper. They are essentially machinist squares. I have a 4" and 7" ....

Failing these, Chris Wong's Magic Square is the go ....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dB0MBG...nnel=ChrisWong

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Ok, I feel less than looking at how you store your squares. Nice. Brian
    Brian

Oh come on, I'll bet you've done it plenty.

bought a mititoyu engineers square at the beginning was over 200.00 at the time. Its square and I check other squares against it. Id trust it before anything that moves. It had a certification originally, I dont remember what the tolerance was at the time.