Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats in that take out food

whats in that take out food

in the last weeks going to see mom I grabbed Mcdonalds once or twice a day with four hours of driving every day. I ate this stuff as it was simple and easy and for what it is tasted fine. In the two weeks it made changes on me. It was that fast. Past id have this once a year if that. I didnt need to see this to know something was up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDQofCXuYik

Blog Entries
    Yup its horrible! It is also horribly irresistible, particularly when we are on the road. I limit myself to two cheeseburgers and a milk, no more than 24 times a year.
    Best Regards, Maurice

I haven't eaten fast food regularly for 45 years (since my discharge from the Navy), nor have I drunk soda/pop except occasionally on NY's Eve, after I've had my two drinks.
    In those ensuing 45 years I have eaten McD's fries (and only the fries) maybe a dozen times.
    When I travel (whether by air or by road or track) I make several PB&J sandwiches on WW bread (and yes, I know the "J" is loaded with sugar).
    I'll also pack a few apples and drink only water.
    No oreos or other cookies as "travel food".
    Fortunately I have no liking for salty snacks (the only exception being tortilla chips with salsa), so chips etc have never been a temptation.
    Not even as teenager did I eat any chips/pretzels/cheetos etc type snacks.
    The middle age/old age battle of the bulge continues relentlessly, interminably, but I'm holding my own at 135 (could be better, maybe 125-130)
    Last edited by Patty Hann; 03-07-2024 at 9:34 PM.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    Yup its horrible! It is also horribly irresistible.
    LOL! It's been years since I've succumbed, but oh man, when I was young and working it off on the job...

What bothers me as much as the calories is the money spent. Oh well. Water over the dam at this point.

Except for the lingering effect of those calories.

It worked to save me time and on back roads easy enough to eat no cars to be concerned. Lots of not good in there just hearing it and had seen the results, I mostly eat well. no pop forever just dont care for it, Our taste buds adjust, told that long ago

One day a car crashed in my ditch in front of my home, guy was eating a salad as he drove through the subdivision.

I don't know where 5 Guys comes in at with what they put in their food, but, they sure charge enough for it!
    This is going around on another list I frequent.

$24 for a burger, fries and drink - is pretty much why I don't go there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    I don't know where 5 Guys comes in at with what they put in their food, but, they sure charge enough for it!
    This is going around on another list I frequent.

$24 for a burger, fries and drink - is pretty much why I don't go there.
    Wow. Just....Wow.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Five Guys has been expensive for a long time. It was already $10 for a burger before COVID. I haven't been in years, but my co-worker and I would share the fries as they are a huge portion.

My wife and I used 5 Guys twice, once at each of 2 different locations. The food was expensive, greasy, and both "restaurants" were dirty. Overall a poor value with a lousy atmosphere. Now I don't go to a burger joint for the atmosphere, but I'm meaning high noise level and uncomfortable in addition to the overall dirtiness of the place.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

If you don't like fast food, you don't like it. That's cool. I find I can't eat much of it. My tummy complains.

But this guy is mostly full of BS. Suggesting cancers and heart disease was more rare in the past due because they didn't have, "Toxic Chemicals!" is just ridiculous.

Is this guy a nutritionis? No.

Is this guy a physicia? No.

Is this guy a biochemist? No.

So what is he? Yeah. He's a YouTube guy which means absolutely nothing.

Smarter than you think Pat. I clicked on it as was on the side bar, I ate the food to save time as my mom was dying and ate on the road to have more time with her, In two weeks I trashed my body.

I dont need his you tube to tell me its full crap. I saw the results. Ive been in the states a number of times driven from here to Key west and here to LA. You probably have more overweight people than anywhere ive ever been. I see this place starting to look the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Smarter than you think Pat. I clicked on it as was on the side bar, I ate the food to save time as my mom was dying and ate on the road to have more time with her, In two weeks I trashed my body.

I dont need his you tube to tell me it’s nfull crap. I saw the results. Ive been in the states a number of times driven from here to Key west and here to LA. You probably have more overweight people than anywhere ive ever been. I see this place starting to look the same.
    I’m not saying fast food is healthy. I’m saying the guy in the video is just spewing the old tired “Everything is bad for you!” Tropes. Before the Industrial Revolution, many people suffered from malnutrition and got food poisoning. Neither is healthy. And I’m sure many people died of cancer without ever knowing what was killing them.

I’m wondering if you had eaten homemade versions of the same food, would you have felt just as lousy? Maybe. Maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    I’m wondering if you had eaten homemade versions of the same food, would you have felt just as lousy? Maybe. Maybe not.
    My takeaway was that he is mostly commenting on modern additives that would have never been in anyone's food in prior years. And I'm sure he is right that many are not healthy. But I agree with you that his presentation is over the top as is everyone's these days.

We live in the age of hyperbole.

well I didnt feel lousey, I felt fine. Better for me to eat than to not eat and the salt crap they put on the fries and all are kind of a treat, even if it tastes fake. Im telling you for sure in two weeks I had a whack of fat on the mid section that was not there before from my usual diet. I ate that food same thing every time and every day at least once and a few days twice. It was a two hour drive each way, beautiful back roads no cars.

This happened past with Tim Horton Ice Capacinios. I was working way too many hours all nighters. I showed up a friends shop and when i was going into burnout id go get an ice capacino and I could work another four hours then go into burn out have another and keep going. Im not used to those things, they taste good and they gave me a bunch of fuel to keep working. Doesnt take long for those to pack fat on you as well and sure there is just about nothing good in them.

I didnt think too much of the presentation either way I didnt notice it its on in the background in most cases. If you at look at many of them down the side bar a great deal is nonsense to get you clic., creative couple his wife in yoga pants butt to the photo or others are most woodworkers dont know this or or their titles alone are a certain way. Ive clicked a whole whack of content creaters but the ones I want to see are the real guys from the trade. They exist just harder to find.

I eat pretty well already, worst is from the past Id get focused on work and then not eat and hurt myself more doing that than putting in crappy fuel. He deosnt have to be a scientist, if hes telling the truth and those chemicals are in there I cant see how anyone can think anything positive in that

I saw the results and that alone was enough for me to leave it to a few times a year and thats enough. This was a one shot thing, to have more time with mom. It served its purpose saving time. Maybe it should be called Fat Food instead of Fast.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 03-09-2024 at 11:02 PM.