Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Small Parts Organizer Storage Rack

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll Courtney View Post
    See what you started Doug,  now I know how to use discount codes, coupons
    Yeah, those Harbor Freight coupons are their way of trying to get you back in the store more.

I used the same process of going to different stores & different days to get my current US General series 2 toolbox setup before HF switched to the new series 3 toolboxes.
    IMG_9926.jpg
    Getting the toolboxes started this "Rabbit Hole" of trying to organize things better in my garage.
    Note the gray organizers in the above pic! They were originally mounted to the wall right where the toolboxes are.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Being you’re a fan of the Toob, I’m surprised you haven’t wanted this :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0--7CZCVngM&t=709s
    Yeah, that's why I had the link in my original post.
    I'm probably going to use at-least a version of that set-up.

Doug

Doug - I don't have the sortimo or HF boxes. But I like Adam Savage. The video you posted is an old one of his. Last week he posted he was going to change the storage rack and was protyping his design. Thought you might find it interesting (although I have to admit a potentially expensive solution) Here's the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIvuFLn_xY

I just do whatever you think it easiest and/or cheapest. But I'd make sure that whatever you do, it's easy to remove the whole box. Don't unnecessarily over complicate it. I've got tons of little parts storage, and I've found that you often don't know exactly what you need when you go to look for it. So it often makes things easier if you can take out a box or two of parts that look like what you might need and then take it over to what you're working on, rather than trying to take what you're working on over to the storage boxes.

I actually have my boxes in several different places, depending on what's in them. I decided against putting everything into one cabinet, as it makes them less organized in my mind. Just being small isn't a good reason to keep them all together to me. So I have screws, nuts, bolts, washers and stuff near my hand tools. Resistors, capacitors, inductors, IC's near my soldering and electronics testing equipment. Bearings, gears, spacers, bushings, in a closet. Fishing gear near the boat, etc. But do whatever you deem most efficient. What matters most is that it makes sense to you, so you don't have to look for anything. You already know where it is.

Not a fan.

Steps needed:
    - Pull out tray, find a place to set it down
    - undo two latches, open lid, ensuring place for the lid to rest
    - select part or small part container
    - close and latch lid to prevent accidental spill
    - if desired part is not there, repeat with more trays that look alike
    - undo two latches, open lid
    - replace container or fasteners, close & latch lid
    - replace tray or trays
    - additionally, organize storage for overstock & things that don't fit in shallow trays

For containers in a drawer:
    - open drawer
    - select part/fastener
    - close drawer
    - after use, open drawer
    - replace parts/container
    - close drawer

IMG_4340.jpgIMG_4336.jpg

I do have some plastic tackle trays like glenn bradley's in the work van with wall anchors, SS screws, etc., and a set of metal lift-out drawer trays with the common fasteners, but never remove the trays. These are resupplied from cartons in the shop.

IMG_3888.jpeg

For oddball little things like key stock, motor brushes, springs etc. there are some of those metal cubes with the small plastic drawer trays. They are annoying but good enough I guess.

I like those US General tool cabinets, but I didn't like that you have to raise the lid to open a drawer, so I disabled that function. If they don't move, I'm not worried about the drawers opening themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I like those US General tool cabinets, but I didn't like that you have to raise the lid to open a drawer, so I disabled that function. If they don't move, I'm not worried about the drawers opening themselves.
    You close the lid? That's never happened to me.

Yeah, I have a Craftsman one under my work bench, and I can't open the lid with it down there. There's not enough room. I didn't know that's how the lock worked when I bought it. Fortunately, you just tap out the pin, slide out the lock in the back, and problem solved. I'm glad they didn't make it too complicated to defeat.

Those cheap locks always seemed kind of dumb to me. I mean, if someone wanted in there, there's nothing stopping them that a flathead screwdriver couldn't overcome. Or just take the whole box. You're about 10x more likely to lose the key than deter a burglar with those things. Which, incidentally, is how I know a flat head screwdriver works as a key.

My boxes are all bolted together & I don't move them either. I thought about disabling the lock function also, but as Cameron Wood mentioned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cameron Wood View Post
    You close the lid? That's never happened to me.
    I hardly ever close my lids either.

Doug

ive kept it simple, wall cabinets all the same. One size of container from the dollar store for all the stuff. Where they are not used for tooling say and other stuff they adapt as they have adjustable shelves on pins. Dont want stuff on the floor where a machine can go. Its also nice to just look straight ahead eye level or close and see the thing you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Harris View Post
    I just do whatever you think it easiest and/or cheapest.
    Where's the fun in that!

Checking around on E-bay I ran across a seller that has cases of 10-sets of 16" full extension drawer slides at a good deal.

I ordered 3-cases, so it looks like I'm going with the drawer slide version.

Doug
    Last edited by Doug Walls; 03-08-2024 at 9:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bert McMahan View Post
    I built a system based off that Wesley Treat video and have absolutely loved it. I modified mine a bit due to space constraints, but it's been amazing at keeping things organized. I wouldn't put the organizers in individual drawers- that will cost a fortune in drawer slides and extra drawer material, and it's simpler to grab a box then put it at a convenient level. I didn't do a full drawer in mine, just a thin sheet of plywood that sticks out big enough to set one of the units on. Bending over to get to the bottom ones, opening the clasps, then fishing around would be a pain- it's much easier to yoink the container out of the slot and plop it on a pull-out shelf.

Plus, the fact that it sticks out is something of a plus- it makes me want to actually put things away, since otherwise I'd be bumping into the drawer all the time.

BTW, Wesley's been talking about adding plans for that to his website at some point but it's not available yet. Of course the HF ones are a little different from the Stanley ones so you'd have to adjust the size anyway.
    I made a modified version of this soon to be on casters. It works well, but I have to add the drawers yet. I have quite a few empty boxes for more stuff as time goes on. It can take the Performax boxes from Menards and Harbor Freight boxes. The two brands have different arrangements of small containers, so it gives you more variety.

I added under a workbench. Put doors on it.

20240309_170700.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naUzeYJ3hl4&t=1s

Something like this but less of an arc. you dont need it to tilt as far
    Thanks for that link George! I've been thinking of how to do something like that for a while. One of those Homer "doh!!" moments when I saw the arc in the side..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher