Thread: 5 foot round dining table build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert LaPlaca View Post
    As always, beautiful work Mark. The Pennsylvania Cherry is beautiful too. The ‘most’ modern I can seem to bring myself is Shaker..
    Thanks Robert! Started gluing up the top in sections. My bench is 6 feet long but only 2 feet wide. Trying to figure out how to glue up a 5 foot by 5 foot top.

panel glue up.jpg

Large glue ups like a flat surface, such as the floor. Your clamp collection determines your method. Glueing up two halves separately will probably match your clamps well. When they have fully dried you can match up the final joint. With only one joint being glued you can get away with fewer clamps.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Blog Entries
    Maybe use a glue that doesn't require clamping and do the gluing with the top standing vertical so the weight of the wood holds the joint together.

Hyde glue or epoxy should do it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Large glue ups like a flat surface, such as the floor. Your clamp collection determines your method. Glueing up two halves separately will probably match your clamps well. When they have fully dried you can match up the final joint. With only one joint being glued you can get away with fewer clamps.
    good advice William

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe use a glue that doesn't require clamping and do the gluing with the top standing vertical so the weight of the wood holds the joint together.

Hyde glue or epoxy should do it.

jtk
    Nice idea Jim, definitely an option.

Panel glued up. Time for cutting the circle with the frame saw. Jigsaw would be easier, but that's what Neander land is all about.

bowsaw.jpg

Had day off from work

beam on table.jpground table.jpg

Time to put edge profile on table. I will put an undercut, under bevel on the bottom and a quarter round on top. I marked out the under bevel cut with a marking gauge and cut to lines using jack plane and sharp block plane. Will will make scraper with quarter round profile for top.

scribe table.jpgbevel table.jpg

After removing bulk with jack plane scratch stock made a nice profile. End grain had some tear out - fine rasp and mill file took care of that.

scratch stock.jpgprofile.jpg