Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to bend wood like this - Outdoor furniture project

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    White oak (preferably air dried), Mahogany, etc. You do the bend for the layers twice; with steam first and left to dry in the form and then glued and clamped in the form to final. You need to do this as a bent lamination, not full thickness.
    That's a great idea, Jim. Never seen that described before in any articles/posts on bending. Definitely going to try that approach.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    That's a great idea, Jim. Never seen that described before in any articles/posts on bending. Definitely going to try that approach.
    That's the method that is shown in many of the videos on the YouTube channel I referred you too. Almost all of Darren's projects involved bent lamination.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Where do you get lifting straps? I use chains on the machines and they are great as you can lock on any place and adjust lengths and more. Only negative is the weight of a number of 3/8" chains.

Excellent you tube, very interesting how they jigged up for different operations.

Blog Entries
    I used boat winches with seatbelt style webbing. Even with two 2 inch straps and a ton of pull on each, clamps and cauls were still required to flatten the layers.

https://sawmillcreek.org/attachment....6&d=1711847387
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 04-27-2024 at 7:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    Where do you get lifting straps? I use chains on the machines and they are great as you can lock on any place and adjust lengths and more. Only negative is the weight of a number of 3/8" chains.

Excellent you tube, very interesting how they jigged up for different operations.
    You can get lifting slings here. https://www.mcmaster.com/products/slings/slings~/
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I can't find where he has listed the parts / equipment he uses for that pulley/form system. It really is the best I've ever seen. I'd love to duplicate that for furniture in the future.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    I can't find where he has listed the parts / equipment he uses for that pulley/form system. It really is the best I've ever seen. I'd love to duplicate that for furniture in the future.
    That's because he doesn't. But it you do some screen scrapes, it should be something you can figure out.
    --

That's because he doesn't. But it you do some screen scrapes, it should be something you can figure out.
    Pity. I've been trying to figure out a few of the parts, but not something I usually work with.

So I guess that's a cable winch. I'm online searching for winch part names.
    Quick Change Steam Bending Jig 2.jpg

And, the black piece in the middle that looks like two pulley wheels that the wire goes through and then is attached to both sides of the wood to tighten it. And the red piece that the load hook grabs on to that also seems to be a pulley. I think that's a "Snatch Block".

That system looks great. I'd love to know the name of those parts so I could order them. It really looks to be the best setup I've seen:
    Quick Change Steam Bending Jig Hardware Crop.jpg
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 02-29-2024 at 10:19 AM.

He's got a ratcheting winch to provide the force to the cable. The orange and red pulley devices he's using to redirect the force are called snatch blocks. Easy to find in a good hardware store, or even a bad one like Amazon.

The winch shown is a simple, inexpensive boat trailer winch...available at Harbor Freight. (I use one on my utility trailer) The design of that fixture provides for even pressure from both sides with the wyw connection to the winch.
    --

There's another way to build the curved shape, and it does not involve bending the wood. You bricklay the rough shape, and then bandsaw it to the final shape. With no bending involved, the construction is easier, and the glue lines have no stress on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    There's another way to build the curved shape, and it does not involve bending the wood. You bricklay the rough shape, and then bandsaw it to the final shape. With no bending involved, the construction is easier, and the glue lines have no stress on them.
    True, although in the designs that OP shows in the photo that would not provide as clean a look to the furniture components because the glue lines will become a pattern as you build up layers. Those components are, my guess, 6-8" tall. Now an interesting option here would be to build the "core" of the components like you state and then bend a "thick veneer" around them, inside and out.
    --

True, although in the designs that OP shows in the photo that would not provide as clean a look to the furniture components because the glue lines will become a pattern as you build up layers. Those components are, my guess, 6-8" tall. Now an interesting option here would be to build the "core" of the components like you state and then bend a "thick veneer" around them, inside and out.
    That technique is sometimes used for building drawers with curved fronts.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    That's really interesting, Jamie. Never heard of that. Any Youtube videos on that, or threads here.

I see the seam in the wood on the side of the couch, but not the top. And with the seam occurring deep in the bend, and appearing to be a butt joint, my guess is that we're looking at veneers. So it's probably the bricklayed wood method, or something similar, and then veneered over the sides.

You could also try to make a bunch of kerf cut on the inside of the bend. I've seen people make some pretty complex shapes like that. But you wouldn't get the strength of the bricklayed method, but it might still be strong enough. You would, however, not have to use veneers. And you could call it solid wood, if that matters. You might still have to steam it to get it to bend that much, and might need to use green wood, depending on the species, which can cause a whole bunch of other issues.