Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wendy's to try "Dynamic Pricing"

I need to float this idea to my employer. The busier I am, the higher my compensation should be. I'm sure that will work out just swell.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

A friend of mine pointed out that if Wendy's just raised prices across the board, those people who paid close attention might notice and grumble, but it wouldn't cause outrage. With a good chunk of their business being through the drive-thru, most people wont notice (or get out of line) if the prices change at certain times. It would be interesting to know the intent behind the proposal - to even out peak usage periods, like our electricity provider is doing? Or to cover higher personnel costs for peak times? They're a business, and their purpose is to make maximum money for their stockholders - that's the basis of capitalism.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Germain View Post
    It wasn't just CBS. A lot of news outlets reported the same thing. What is still up in the air is if the CEO's comments weren't clear or if Wendy's simply panicked and backtracked based on extreme, negative reaction from the public.
    This seems most likely and they weren't talking about implementing it until 2025 so plenty of time to reconsider. It didn't take anywhere near that long, sounds like.

Dynamic pricing is a code word for our cashiers make lots of mistakes. No sir I did not make a mistake, that hamburger is 539 dollars not the 5.39 on the menu board. Must be dynamic pricing. Would you like some ketchup with that?
    Bill D.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/the-salami-technique/
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 02-29-2024 at 11:17 AM.

It doesn't bother me a bit. We all know prices are going up. You can't raise wages as fast as they have been and not expect it. You can't have crazy inflation like we've seen over the last couple years not impact prices. I would rather have prices go up when during peak hours and not as much when they aren't busy. Either people will adjust their habits on when they eat (if they can), accept the higher prices, or (not very likely) not eat at that establishment. They are already doing it when they offer deals for using their app to order. What do you think coupons are for?

I would assume the coupon doesn't limit what hours the coupon can be used. I further assume the app discounts are good at all hours too, but it would be easy to limit the hours for discounts on the app.

It makes sense for a fast food restaurant to want to spread out sales so they aren't slammed for 60 to 90 minutes and then slow the rest of the night. A better way to deal with this would be to raise prices by 10% across the board and then offer a 10% to 15% discount for orders outside of the busy times. Maybe a 15% discount if you order before 5 pm or after 7 pm. People will stay away in droves if you essentially make it a penalty to eat during the two busy hours, but you'll attract a lot of customers if there is a discount outside of busy hours.

I have to plug in during off hours, and now they want me to eat off hours too? I think they were very wise to drop it before it became a liability.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Nobody was going to make anyone eat at off hours. It was just going to be more expensive at peak times.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    P.s. I cancelled cable TV when they started showing commercials and haven't had it for longer than many adults have been alive. I seem to survive .
    Ok, I'll bite: when did cable TV not have commercials?!? (Leaving aside premium channels like HBO etc.)
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Dynamic pricing is a code word for our cashiers make lots of mistakes. No sir I did not make a mistake, that hamburger is 539 dollars not the 5.39 on the menu board. Must be dynamic pricing. Would you like some ketchup with that?
    It's been decades since I've been in a fast-food place where a cashier actually enters the price.
    They just punch the button with the name/picture of the item on it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Ok, I'll bite: when did cable TV not have commercials?!? (Leaving aside premium channels like HBO etc.)
    When COX cable in our area started offering cable TV there were no commercials on any channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    When COX cable in our area started offering cable TV there were no commercials on any channel.
    That must have been before the 80s. So, fifty years ago?
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Not quite sure I want to know how that worked. Seems like it would screw up the scheduling rather badly, as in "We'll watch 'Jeopardy' on ABC and switch over to CBS for 'Law&Order' at, um, whenever...". And I assume everything was delayed several hours so they could remove ads from the network feeds.

There are also the economics to deal with, as I assume the content providers still needed to get paid. At least there were a lot less of them back in the day.