Thread: "Shiny" finish

"Shiny" finish

My sister asked that I make her a bowl but she wants more of a display piece than a user. She asked for a semi-glossy finish and I'm not sure what to use. I've been using odie's oil and wax and I recently tried the doctor's wax - both great but not what she wants. I can spray it with lacquer but I think that's way more than needed. Is there something that I can use as a fiction polish or similar that will give me a healthy, shiny finish? I have a lot available to me in the shop and I don't mind ordering something else that I don't have. Thanks in advance.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Urethane finish will be very shiny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQEJf7KkoQ

Dave, that would definitely give it shine but I would like to avoid the plastic look.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Fritz View Post
    Urethane finish will be very shiny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVQEJf7KkoQ

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    Dave, that would definitely give it shine but I would like to avoid the plastic look.
    Put it on thin and then sand and buff when you get 3 thin coats on it. It won't look like plastic. In my experience, you won't get any shine from oil by itself. You need a film coating to do that.

I use the Beall Buffing System and love the finished look.

Ok, great. I'll try it thin. Thinking further though, if I'm using a film finish, how about waterlox or arm r seal?

Use any finish you want. I sell my work, so I go for as tough as I can without going to something more exotic. Miniwax Quick Dry Poly is what I use, applied with a folded cotton pad.

Thanks to all.