Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Home Shop ( shaker oval boxes)

The Home Shop ( shaker oval boxes)

Occasionally I get the urge to make a few shaker oval boxes. Have always bought material from The Home Shop in Michigan. I know John Wilson has passed. I ordered some bands, and tops and bottoms probably 5/6 weeks ago. Have not heard a word since. Have tried to call, no answer. Anyone know if they have closed? Or just on vacation?

thanks Mike

I suggest you contact Lee Valley. They say on their website that they are out of stock on copper tacks, but expect restocking by March 14. I had the idea that Wilson had the only commercial tack machines in the United States now, and maybe Lee Valley knows the contact at Home Shop.

Interested in knowing if you get an answer. I placed an order last week, the tracking says ‘being processed’. After John Wilson passed, I read that business was going to stay open. I hope they manage to do so. I’m just a hobbyist who builds a few sets of boxes a year, but Mr Wilson’s company has always been a valuable source of supplies and information. The Vol II of his books on Shaker boxes is easily my favorite of the many woodworking books I’ve purchased.

Anthony
    did your order arrive. I keep calling, no luck

mike johnston

I just got off the phone with Lee Valley. The gal couldn't even tell me where there tacks come from, just that they are made in the USA. I asked to speak with a procurement guy or something, no was the answer. Disappointed to say the least. They even show Wilson's instruction book with the tacks they sell, surely someone at Lee Valley knows.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mike johnston View Post
    Anthony
    did your order arrive. I keep calling, no luck

mike johnston
    No, the tracking still says it’s being ‘processed’. I’m in no hurry on the order, but it’s concerning that you haven’t heard anything. I wish the best for them, the shop fills an important niche.

I’ll post if I hear anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Wilson View Post
    No, the tracking still says it’s being ‘processed’. I’m in no hurry on the order, but it’s concerning that you haven’t heard anything. I wish the best for them, the shop fills an important niche.

I’ll post if I hear anything.
    Lee Valley did say their tack inventory order is postponed from March to April.

Just tried calling again. Messages full. Would be nice to know if they are in business or not. No other places like them. As human nature would have it. Two months ago could care less about shaker boxes, now that I can’t get material, I really want to make some

Quote Originally Posted by mike johnston View Post
    Just tried calling again. Messages full. Would be nice to know if they are in business or not. No other places like them. As human nature would have it. Two months ago could care less about shaker boxes, now that I can’t get material, I really want to make some
    Is there a way anyone can contact Rob Lee and ask him the status of The Home Shop, or ask where Lee Valley buys the copper tacks from. Rob Lee used to show up on here and comment in the past. Customer service at Lee Valley has no idea about their supplier.

10. (Deleted my earlier post to add info)

My order is now on the way (USPS), and should be here a day or two. I’m glad to hear they’re still in business. I noticed the schedule shows classes in Jan. and Feb. but a break in March. Maybe that explains the delay Mike is experiencing?

Just got off the phone with the home shop. My order had been misplaced. Will ship soon. Many apologies, I assured them I understand that happens sometimes. Great folks there.

12. Quote Originally Posted by mike johnston View Post
    Just got off the phone with the home shop. My order had been misplaced. Will ship soon. Many apologies, I assured them I understand that happens sometimes. Great folks there.
    Great! I’m glad to hear that the problem was resolved. Have fun with your shaker box builds

still waiting

At least you guys are getting your orders. I ordered in mid December 2023 and am still waiting. Finally got through on the phone about a month ago, he said everything was in stock and he would ship the next day. Since I have sent another email with no answer and still no order.

Gregory. Anthony
    did you guys get your orders yet

I still haven't received my order. I sent another email and no answer yet. My order was placed Dec 13 2023. I think Ill send him another email telling him to cancel my order and let everyone know about my experience.