Thread: Very stupid SketchUp question

Very stupid SketchUp question

Hey All, just got a Shaper Origin and I'm trying to use Sketchup and, well, beyond squares I'm stumped.

I thought an easy thing would be to create dividers for a chisel tray, so a long rectangle with a smooth cutout so you can get your fingers in there. This seems easy but I've got no idea where to start; I made a square but dont know how to change the line....I'd assume that's how you do it? Anyone have any easy advice?

Gracias in advance.

Gotta a sketch? I can't understand what it is you want to make. I'm reasonably proficient with SketchUp, so I should be able to help once I know what you want to make.

John

Quote Originally Posted by James Jayko View Post
    Hey All, just got a Shaper Origin and I'm trying to use Sketchup and, well, beyond squares I'm stumped.

I thought an easy thing would be to create dividers for a chisel tray, so a long rectangle with a smooth cutout so you can get your fingers in there. This seems easy but I've got no idea where to start; I made a square but dont know how to change the line....I'd assume that's how you do it? Anyone have any easy advice?

Gracias in advance.
    Go to FWW/Taunton website and order Dave Richards Sketchup first video on Sketchup basics. It's well worth the cost!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Hey John,

Sorry for the crudeness of the sketch!

I'm just planning to make a chisel tray for my toolbox, so imagine these as ~1/4" dividers between the chisels, with the cutout to allow you to get your fingers in there. I figured there would have to be a way to pick two anchors on the line and bend the existing line into a smooth curve, but I'm not a CAD guy AT ALL, so, maybe I'm thinking about it all wrong...
    Attached Images Attached Images

James

Just curious why you want to use the shaper for this? As an exercise in learning I can understand. but wouldnt stacking up all your 1/4" dividers and cutting on the banndsaw. or cutting 1 and using it as a router template be a lot faster?

Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    James

Just curious why you want to use the shaper for this? As an exercise in learning I can understand. but wouldnt stacking up all your 1/4" dividers and cutting on the banndsaw. or cutting 1 and using it as a router template be a lot faster?
    That's all it is...an excuse to try something new. Not the easiest / fastest way for sure, but a good learning exercise.

In fact, I may just do both; cut a router template on the Shaper and then take it to the router table.

Ok, draw a rectangle 10 x 2". Now put in vertical guidelines 2" (or whatever you want) from both ends. Then draw a 2 point arc from where the guidelines intersect the top of the rectangle, and downward 1/2" or whatever you want.

Delete the line between the guidelines.

Then use the push/pull tool to create a part 1/4" thick.

Make it a component and then you can create copies of it, as needed.

John

Thanks John! That's exactly the help I'm looking for! Time to try my hand at it...

I use a similar approach to John, but instead I add line segments along the top edge from the end to 2". Then I draw the arc from the endpoints of the two lines, etc. except I don't have any vertical lines that need to be erased. The line segments persist, they are not merged into the larger rectangle right away.

Yes, as with most things, there is more than one way to accomplish the task. The guidelines I used aren't part of the drawing. You can highlight them, right click, and Hide them, or you can click on Edit and then Delete Guides if you want to permanently delete them. In either case, the drawing is unaffected. One advantage of drawing a rectangle first is that when you go to pull down the arc segment it's easier to see if you are in plane with the Z axis. I've done it many times where I've created something slightly out of plane. When that happens, you end up with a bunch of connected lines but no surface.

John