Hello All,

I have a Rigid jobsite saw in my shop. It hums sometimes when its plugged in. Not always, just sometimes. None of my other electric power tools hum. But I thought maybe that is normal. I have had it two years. Well...something sickening happened this fall when I was ripping boards for soffits. The saw, upon tapping so lightly to move the fence a sixteenth of an inch, turned on by itself. It makes my stomach turn to think of all the times it could have taken my finger off when I do the things I do while the saw is plugged in, such as simply measure with the tape to see about distance between fence and blade. I can think of a ton of ways this saw could hurt someone unless you plug it in, rip, unplug it....every....single....time.

I contacted Rigid. The tech support woman was a bit concerned, she said it sounds like more than the switch. Asked me if I could catch the hum on video, which I did. They sent me a new switch. I just installed that new switch. I plugged it in, and it hummed, then stopped. I turned it on, it worked, turned it off and it hummed again.

What should I do? This saw is a liability to anyone working around it. I will contact Rigid again, but wanted some advice from you all.