Thread: Interesting table saw and miter saw safety/hold down devices

Interesting table saw and miter saw safety/hold down devices

Stumbled upon this guy's stuff, and realized if I hadn't seen it before, not many people have,--which is too bad, as it's a nicely designed, useful system.

I actually called the owner to see if he'd share some of his marketing experiences with me. He was congenial, and it seems like it's been, as one would expect from how hard he is to find/low numbers on his videos, a disaster. He's 87 now, and doesn't have the energy to pursue it more. Jessem's wildly loved table saw hold downs are formidable competition, but his system nicely solves the finish-the-cut problem many complain about.

He spent serious money obtaining patents, and almost certainly didn't recoup it. Funny product name too!

https://savemsystem.com/

Dang, that's cool. No budget for it now, but it does look like I might be able to 3D print some of those.

The right hand pusher is interesting. Would have been a worthy addition to the "My push block" thread from last summer.

I've never seen these items, but several are interesting.

Very cool. I'd certainly be interested, especially to support local, but they don't give you any ideas or CAD drawings to know if they'd fit your saw. The right hand pusher is awesome, but not sure if it would fit my sawstop and the tapering jig looks pretty cool too, made of some nice material!

Nothing there strikes my fancy, but I bought this thing a while back and like it. I needed to cut a small piece off of another small piece of some 2" pipe last week on a miter saw, and it worked perfectly. Then I needed to shorten the hub on the bottom of a shower drain that has several steps of different diameters on it, and it held that fine too. It paid for itself on that one job.

https://www.amazon.com/FastCap-10-Mi...s%2C184&sr=8-3

Yea Tom, I have one of those myself. Works great.

His table saw fence push device and hold down wheel is almost identical to those on my Vega Pro, which I rarely use, unfortunately, because my blade guard interferes with it for narrow cuts, just when you need the push device the most. I noted he has his guard "removed for clarity", too.

John

IMHO, There comes a time when the "safety" devices overtake the working area and you start losing ground.
    This is overkill for me.
    I'll also mention that this (and other) safety devices attach to the fence, as if the fence is the be-all, end-all locked in place device, where all things should attach.
    While the fence in the video attaches at both ends, many standard three point fences only clamp at one end, nothing holds it them to the table top, it is not a fixture point.

3 bearing thing waste of money no time to look at the rest. People need to understand that scrap stop makes most of what you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    3 bearing thing waste of money no time to look at the rest. People need to understand that scrap stop makes most of what you need.
    I have a 3 wheel hold down thingamajig for my saw, it’s a stock feeder😉

Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Have it, done it, seen it, haven’t…. it’s all good. Everyone is trying to create something. I give them credit for trying..

Blog Entries
    I agree, I like the miter saw idea but I would like to see them as air clamps. There are plenty of times when I use an air clamp to hold a part at the chop saw and I’ll hold the off cut with a push stick. This prevents the off cut from becoming a projectile, so something like he designed but as an air clamp would be pretty slick.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    I agree, I like the miter saw idea but I would like to see them as air clamps. There are plenty of times when I use an air clamp to hold a part at the chop saw and I’ll hold the off cut with a push stick. This prevents the off cut from becoming a projectile, so something like he designed but as an air clamp would be pretty slick.
    I would have liked the miter saw device better if it activated as you pull the saw down to make the cut. I think that the one in the video is poorly designed. It requires a separate action to activate it and it appears that it would get in the the way for removing the cut piece after the cut.

I did like the fence guided push block that he used. I have a raised portion on my fence that would work quite well to make a similar type of push stick for when I cut narrow pieces. My normal push stick looks like this:
    20220912_105721.jpg
    It is made out of plywood and allows you to push the piece and also hold it down at the same time and is more ergonomic than most other design.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 02-05-2024 at 9:08 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I am with Warren in this. I wouldn't buy any of it. Make what you need to suit the job, rather than try to fit what you bought to the job. Better and cheaper. Feather-boards, sacrificial push sticks, spring-hold-downs etc. can all be made out of scraps of wood, MDF, plexi-glass etc.