I just say a youtube by a channel I think is called "731 Woodworks". He reports on some meetings by the consumer products safety commission (I might have that name wrong) where they are talking about mandating technology which will stop the blade before it penetrates our body more than 3.5mm. I think he said the meeting was in October of 2023. That doesn't dictate sawstops but we saw with the Bosch saw that if anybody tried to offer technology that is different but achieves the same result SawStop will sue and the expense of protecting yourself was too much for Bosch - which is not a really small company. So the only practical way to meet the requirement would seem to be to license SawStop technology. They may give a relatively long implementation time that might allow some of SawStop's patents to expire but in a response to the commission Steve Gass said he is trying to extend them.

The one bright light I saw in the video was input from a patent lawyer talking about putting together a package "deal" for use of all necessary patents. Apparently that sort of thing is common in telecomunications areas. If the commission put that together to go with implementation it might also just raise the price of table saws but the price of the "deal" plus the cost of implementation.

If you are thinking you want a non-sawstop tablesaw it might be necessary to move forward before too long (in the next few years).