Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop Cabinets

Blog Entries

Shop Cabinets

What is your go-to plywood for shop cabinets? THickness for boxes (3/4 or 1/2). I have been quoted baltic birch 18 mm at $95/sheet at 4'x8' and 5x5 at $77. The 12 mm is $76 for 4x8 and 43 for 5x5. Still waiting on a cost from the lumber yard for Grade A and B plywood. Our local box store has Sandeply for $65 and birch (Columbia forest products)for $83 (3/4 4x8) and $45 and $67 respectively. I have not laid eyes on it, however.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Blog Entries
    What’s ever is straight as possible at the big box..

Blog Entries
    We have about three large lumberyards in the San Antonio area, wouldnt they have the better ply?

My shop cabinets came used from someone's kitchen remodel. At the time it was cheaper than buying a good grade of plywood. Check your local Facebook, Craigslist, etc. But it you want to build something custom, we all enjoy starting a project with a fresh stack of wood!

Mine also came from Kitchen re-model... only 6 of the wall mounted ones were usable (none of the base cabinets were)
    But they were from a friend's remodel so the price was very right
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

The Radiata pine smooth ply from the 'borg has become my go-to for shop and other utility use. The surfaces are thick with the best surface very smooth with the back not much worse, it cuts cleanly and...I can lift the stuff up onto my cutting table or slider without killing myself. And at under $50 a sheet even last winter, an affordable buy, too.

Now I will admit that all my floor level cabinets, with the exception of the one that lives under the slider's right side table, are Husky tool cabinets and the few wall units I have are the lowest line from Ikea that used to be in the temporary gara-shop. My finishing cabinet is two stacked metal storage cabinets that I got 20 years ago surplus and painted black (to match the Husky stuff on the other side of the room) when I moved into the new shop. So in a way, I'm with others that have indicated using surplus/used/reclaimed cabinets is a good way to outfit a shop if they will work for the need. Even cabinet boxes that were originally with doors can be easily converted to drawers which is often a lot more useful.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-08-2024 at 7:39 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    We have about three large lumberyards in the San Antonio area, wouldnt they have the better ply?
    I went to my local lumberyard and asked what they had for shop cabs, ended up getting multiple sheets of 18mm premcore for a screaming deal. They had some damage.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

I'm also in the camp of used kitchen cabinets. Mine are 1950s era all built as long sections with a couple of one off cabinets. The price to speed ratio is good. The kitchen sink hole.... not so much. That said all future base cabinets will be on wheels and built in the shop. When the time comes to build it sounds like Jim has a good idea.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    What is your go-to plywood for shop cabinets? THickness for boxes (3/4 or 1/2). I have been quoted baltic birch 18 mm at $95/sheet at 4'x8' and 5x5 at $77. The 12 mm is $76 for 4x8 and 43 for 5x5. Still waiting on a cost from the lumber yard for Grade A and B plywood. Our local box store has Sandeply for $65 and birch (Columbia forest products)for $83 (3/4 4x8) and $45 and $67 respectively. I have not laid eyes on it, however.

Do you have a Menards?

Blog Entries
    No, I wish we had a Menards.

Blog Entries
    I tried kitchen cabinets for shop cabinets. I never cared for them..

Blog Entries
    So for shop cabinets, toe kicks or no toe kicks? I am building a variation of Jay Bates miter station and he did not have toe kicks but then he only had 9” of flat countertop available so that may be why

Blog Entries
    You’ll want toe kicks

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Do you have a Menards?
    Is there something worthwhile at Menards as to shop cabinets? I have a bunch of credit to use.

Blog Entries
    The had some $68 light weight plywood. I bought a bunch and then there was none. But I thinks it’s back on the shelf.