Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beeswax?

Beeswax?

I'm looking to try out beeswax on my turnings and surprisingly, the local farms don't sell it. This is what I found. Am I looking at the right product here? Can someone recommend? Richard raffan inspired me to try it out.

https://essentialorganicingredients....BoC48AQAvD_BwE

Edit: also, I see there's yellow and white beeswax available through some vendors. Which and why? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by John Kananis; 01-08-2024 at 12:27 PM.
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Just a little warning.
    Yes, Beeswax can be used in finishing products, BUT it's really not that hard. If the piece in question is handled a lot, the beswax will wear quickly.
    Carnuba is harder as far as natural waxes go.

"yellow" beeswax is typically processed right out of the hive. It is a mixture of wax, propolis, pollen, etc, and the heat from the uncapping process usually turns it a little bit more amber. It's not filtered typically. Whatever floats to the top during the processing is skimmed off, and you're left with what you're left with.
    "White" beeswax is more highly filtered. Typically used in food processing, medicines, candle making, and, cosmetics.
    Beeswax melts at about 145degF, so it can be easier applied "wet" if you'd like, and not present a danger to you.
    If you're going to get it "raw", heat it up slowly in a double boiler, and skim off all of the pollutants. Propolis is a hard resinous material in a beehive, it's their form of glue, and it can scratch the piece you're applying wax to.
    It is a soft finish though, and easy to mar. But also easy to fix. Just warm it back up, and wipe it down.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 01-08-2024 at 12:57 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

You can also try a common turner's finish, at least among those who like soft finishes, by heating about 4 parts mineral oil to 1 part beeswax (yes, that's right, more oil than wax) in a double-boiler. Pour it into suitable container(s) and let it solidify. Some who sell their wares, give a little jar of it to the purchaser so they can renew spots and think they got something for free .

Thank you for the information, gentlemen.

This may be of interest to you. Don Williams is well know for his finishing knowledge.

https://donsbarn.com/finishing-supplies/
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Been a long time since I bought bees wax. The prices on line must be mainly for first time buyers. I bought it from a bee keeper , and
    still have a large round piece matching height and diameter of of a large pie. Used some to make a couple of batches of old-book
    wood worker tips.

John

You don't have to melt beeswax or mix it with mineral oil - you can apply it just as Mr Raffan demonstrates. Note he applies some pressure on his waxy sock to melt the beeswax rubbed on the surface. As someone noted, it is a soft finish compared to poly, varnish, and other curing film finishes. If applied go cereal bowls, wooden plates, and such, after a few washings with a mild dish soap and the soft side of a kitchen sponge, litte of the wax coating will remain. Mr Raffan sold many of his bowls to galleries and re-sellers, and in one of his Youtube videos he surmises the beeswax coating was to seal the oil coating applied first, so the oil did not leave residue.

I'm getting the impression that I should use something other than. I'm still experimenting so I'll try the beeswax anyway so i have some experience with it but I welcome suggestions. So far, odie's wax is nice once you heat it up and can work with it. Other than that, I only have paste wax (minwax and a new can of Lundmark) and paraffin (which I'm sure isn't good) on hand but I'm willing to get whatever is most recommend.

The turner that I worked for , in early 1960s , had steel hollow “steady rests “ used on things like tall tester beds . Had a number of
    sizes . He always put bees wax on them . Never see any mention of that stuff now. Are those things still used ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    "yellow" beeswax is typically processed right out of the hive. It is a mixture of wax, propolis, pollen, etc, and the heat from the uncapping process usually turns it a little bit more amber. It's not filtered typically. Whatever floats to the top during the processing is skimmed off, and you're left with what you're left with.
    "White" beeswax is more highly filtered. Typically used in food processing, medicines, candle making, and, cosmetics.
    Beeswax melts at about 145degF, so it can be easier applied "wet" if you'd like, and not present a danger to you.
    If you're going to get it "raw", heat it up slowly in a double boiler, and skim off all of the pollutants. Propolis is a hard resinous material in a beehive, it's their form of glue, and it can scratch the piece you're applying wax to.
    It is a soft finish though, and easy to mar. But also easy to fix. Just warm it back up, and wipe it down.
    Propiis is a lot more than glue. It has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. I take it as an anti-inflammatory and for an immune booster.

I frequently use bees wax on small spindle turnings (tops, honey dippers, Christmas ornaments, boxes). For these types of things that don’t get handled/washed regularly I like the mild sheen and depth it gives to the wood.

Another thing that I like about it is that it is easy to put on the bottom of small turnings after being parted off the lathe - I put some wax on the nub of wood that is left in the chuck and get a paper towel or small piece of tee shirt really hot and loaded with wax by pushing it onto the wood at high speed then quickly rub it over the parted-off turning. It gives a nice blended finish to the bottom.

Here are a few turnings with only bees wax finish:

IMG_8619.jpgIMG_9225.jpg
    Snowmen (1.5-2” tall) made of sycamore branches with iron-acetate applied to the hats prior to beeswax finish. 12-14” Linden ornaments.

IMG_3021.jpgIMG_9337.jpgIMG_9335.jpg
    3x3” cedar box. Tops from various woods, some with iron acetate applied prior to beeswax finish. Honey dippers.

I usually buy little sticks of the beeswax on eBay for a couple dollars that last me several months.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by John Kananis View Post
    I'm getting the impression that I should use something other than. I'm still experimenting so I'll try the beeswax anyway so i have some experience with it but I welcome suggestions. So far, odie's wax is nice once you heat it up and can work with it. Other than that, I only have paste wax (minwax and a new can of Lundmark) and paraffin (which I'm sure isn't good) on hand but I'm willing to get whatever is most recommend.
    Personally, for a wax finish, I use a microcrystalline wax, such as Renaissance Wax.
    Much harder that natural waxes and it has lots of uses around the shop.

Beeswax for a finish is pretty much worthless. Almost no protection from water. I have been using walnut oils, at first from Mike Mahoney, and now from the Doctor's Woodshop. It has carnauba wax in it that does not need to be heated to spread. The walnut oil takes a week or so to cure and harden, but it does harden. Pure Tung oil takes up to a month. If you just want a wax finish, then Kiwi neutral shoe polish works, it is carnauba in a turpentine base. Butcher's wax is pretty much the same thing, One of their products is 'bowling alley wax'.

robo hippy

Reed, which Doctor's Woodshop product(s) do you use? I noticed there are a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Beeswax for a finish is pretty much worthless. Almost no protection from water. I have been using walnut oils, at first from Mike Mahoney, and now from the Doctor's Woodshop. It has carnauba wax in it that does not need to be heated to spread. The walnut oil takes a week or so to cure and harden, but it does harden. Pure Tung oil takes up to a month. If you just want a wax finish, then Kiwi neutral shoe polish works, it is carnauba in a turpentine base. Butcher's wax is pretty much the same thing, One of their products is 'bowling alley wax'.

robo hippy