Thread: metal shear

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post

When cutting with a band saw how do you support the work? I'm imagining the thin metal bouncing up and down as the blade passes producing a rough cut, at least that's been my experience sawing thin sheet metal, hence my idea of sandwiching it in plywood for cutting.
    I would get a block of wood, cut an appropriate sized slot, insert metal and cross cut. This keeps the metal captured without bouncing. A small sled or miter gauge fixture is all that's needed.

Blog Entries
    A sled with a squeezing hold down like what Edward describes is something I would try. It could have a scale built in and a cam clamp to provide the squeeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Mcmurry View Post
    A sled with a squeezing hold down like what Edward describes is something I would try. It could have a scale built in and a cam clamp to provide the squeeze.
    OK-- maybe something like a cross cut sled for a table saw that bridges the blade, with a zero clearance slot and hold-down boards on each side of the blade. I'm liking this idea! On the bandsaw it would have to be open at one end, and I'd have to back it out after each cut, but I think cutting on the table saw might also work, then I could push it all the way through. (knowing me I'd manage to cut my jig in half on the band saw.)

Hoping the brass will arrive today or tomorrow so I can try these ideas.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough with my description. I also didn't realize the size of the stock.
    All that being said, Y think you're now seeing how you could proceed.
    Good Luck

Blog Entries
    I experimented with .090 and .004 using my small saw with a 7 1/4 inch 40 tooth thin carbide freud blade. The .090 cuts clean and easy the .004 is a mess. A combination of ideas from a crosscut sled and a coping sled are what I imagine. I will get some .020 and try a cut with that little blade. I predict it will work fine with just the miter gauge.

IMG_1806.jpg IMG_1805.jpg IMG_1803.jpg

Blog Entries
    I can't find any .020 . .016 feels like it would need a backer and a caul on top for a clean cut with wood woking tools. .032 feels like it would cut just fine with just the miter gauge.

Thank you! I'm still waiting for my stock to arrive in the mail to begin some trials. I talked to another organ builder who does use a benchtop shear. Sadly none of the laser cutting companies that I've found offer brass that thin, and I haven't yet found a makerspace or similar with an appropriate fiber laser.

Blog Entries
    Roger, your projects are very interesting! The man I worked for in Boston is an organ builder. In 1981 his big house on Chester Square had very little on the first floor. One room contained only a grand Piano. Another room contained only his home built organ. He helped us decide if it was safe to start up the organ inside Cambridgeport church. Preserving that church was one of my father in laws projects. My wife's grandpa played the organ at Cambridgeport church for our wedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    I would get a block of wood, cut an appropriate sized slot, insert metal and cross cut. This keeps the metal captured without bouncing. A small sled or miter gauge fixture is all that's needed.
    Sorry, but I'm having trouble envisioning this. I can make a 20 thousandths wide slot by planing off a very shallow dado of the width required and then laminating another board onto it, but that leaves the other side of the sheet unsupported and free to move about-- now up off the saw table if I understand what you're suggesting. The brass stock I've ordered is coming in 6x12" sheets, so I'll need to make clean cuts on all four edges. I'm not getting the implication of "cross cut" in this context-- it's not like the brass has grain, and I need to cut in both the long and short dimensions.
    My apologies for being dense.