Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: helping a widow

being in the trade helps., Ive had calls several times about buying equipment either while alive or years after they passed or even an ex mechanic asked if I was interested in machines. I figured craftsman radial but most of this stuff has been Italian and they were the best bang for the buck. Ive paid fairly high for some stuff but didnt care. They were people that I respected and they helped me huge along the way with their time and knowledge. It is something to think about have a lot of machines and friends with 10 - 20 special cars as well and kids that are often not interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    I'll say it again - DO NOT put this on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, you will set yourself up for a world of issues. If she wants it "gone" , put a good price on it and list it here in the classified's.
    One of the biggest issues with Craigslist and FB Marketplace these days is scammers. Neither web site appears to do anything about screening out scammers. They come from all over the world trying to "buy" something through a Zelle account only to rip you off. Ever time I try to sell something, I immediately receive multiple "offers" to buy it sight unseen. "I'll take it. Mark it sold. Send me your Zelle account information."

Absolutely this is not a situation for Craigslist or FB Marketplace. The widow could easily end up losing her entire life savings. Mrs. Pat is a banker and she sees this all the time.

I'll say it again - DO NOT put this on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, you will set yourself up for a world of issues. If she wants it "gone" , put a good price on it and list it here in the classified's.
    You should read the classified rules on here. A third party CAN NOT liquidate an estate on the classifieds !

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You should read the classified rules on here. A third party CAN NOT liquidate an estate on the classifieds !
    Thanks for pointing that out Richard, looks like from the rules it's not kosher to sell a large lot of equipment even if you are the owner of the equipment. I can understand the thought behind that rule. This being the case, I till say no FBMP or CL. Better off to go to an auction house. Way to many headaches with the FBMP and CL goofballs.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

… looks like from the rules it's not kosher to sell a large lot of equipment even if you are the owner of the equipment. I can understand the thought behind that rule. ….
    Simple for the widow to join SMC (contributor), then drop the lot in the classifieds. She can carefully guard her password and so prevent Mr. Shelby from ever assisting her. In any way. Not a bit. Nada.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-04-2024 at 4:21 PM.

I buy from marketplace but never consider myself being crazy. If it was me, I would start right here and other woodworking forums. Auction houses don’t sell for free, they take a % just like lawyers does in lawsuits. If you had time, I would start out with highly desirable machines then work from there. If they are highly desirable, like Unisaw, Oliver etc old arn then I don’t see problem. Craftsmen??? To many are out there. As they say in car business, Price sales cars

Thanks for pointing that out Richard, looks like from the rules it's not kosher to sell a large lot of equipment even if you are the owner of the equipment.
    Not quite accurate, Dan. An individual owner can liquidate their entire personal shop here if they wish to or need do it. However, someone selling/reselling constantly to make a profit results in a business and a business is not permitted to advertise in the Classifieds. I'm sad that's not clear.

In this particular situation that the OP asks about, I personally agree with engaging with an experienced professional to auction/estate-sale everything as it removes the arduous task of doing it from the now-owner of the stuff. Even with help, it's a "yuge" task. Heck, I tend to procrastinate doing the things necessary to sell of some odds and ends that I really need to get out of here!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-04-2024 at 8:56 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not quite accurate, Dan. An individual owner can liquidate their entire personal shop here if they wish to or need do it. However, someone selling/reselling constantly to make a profit results in a business and a business is not permitted to advertise in the Classifieds. I'm sad that's not clear.
    Fair explanation Jim. I understand the sprit of the law in this case...
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

If we could see some pictures of what’s in this shop I think it would impact our advice
    Bob C

get a good auctioneer and get it gone.
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not quite accurate, Dan. An individual owner can liquidate their entire personal shop here if they wish to or need do it.
    The rules don't spell that out at all Jim. It reads The Classified forum is intended only for the use of Contributors for the occasional sale of their own surplus tools.
    Surplus tools is far from liquidating an entire shop.

Consider reaching out to a reputable estate sale company if you want someone else to handle the entire process. Another option would be tapping into woodworking communities on Facebook. There are several groups there dedicated to buying and selling woodworking tools. Woodworkers in there are often on the lookout for tools, so you may find someone who's interested. I would recommend going for groups instead of marketplace. I would suggest vetting potential buyers, though. Don't entertain any dummy accounts, for example, so you avoid wasting your time.

One factor to take into account is that widows in this circumstance may just not want to deal with the hassle of pricing, advertising, selling, and shipping things piece by piece. Think about a pile of random wood - someone knowledgeable needs to sort it, and it could be an endless task. The grief gets in the way.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    The rules don't spell that out at all Jim. It reads The Classified forum is intended only for the use of Contributors for the occasional sale of their own surplus tools.
    Surplus tools is far from liquidating an entire shop.
    Not going to argue about this...we have always permitted folks selling off all their personal shop equipment. There have even been recent threads.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Did something similar recently but only was selling 5 items at the time. Also, items were in garage so no need to enter the house itself and easy to remove by purchaser.
    I don't do FB but have a neighbor who does a lot of FB Marketplace selling so I gave him pictures and the words and he posted it with the owner-lady's phone number.
    Items were listed as: $x.00 Firm Cash Only
    As soon as it was sold the posting for the item was removed from the site.
    In spite of "Firm" some callers wanted to haggle but she told them it was firm period.
    Worked out very well but she did have me to figure out the pricing. Fortunately, she was not trying to get every last dollar out of the price, getting rid of it was number 1.