Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: helping a widow

all this and still dont know if its high end Ryobi or Martin stuff.

Been to tons of auctions and know the guys running them. Make a list of the equipment. On site is done its time with Covid putting the nail in that then auction guys realized it was way easier and cheaper and no theft to do online. Not sure live will ever come back based on that. Im not sure top companies I know would touch estate stuff but no clue of what the stuff is.

Either way if you dont know what it is how are you going to sell it in any fashion

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Not going to argue about this...we have always permitted folks selling off all their personal shop equipment. There have even been recent threads.
    I'm not arguing, I just want it clarified for my future. Sorry you took it differently than I intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I'm not arguing, I just want it clarified for my future. Sorry you took it differently than I intended.
    My apologies...I didn't mean to offend either. Any Contributor to SMC can use the Classifieds for selling/liquidating tools and other shop stuff--even a whole shop full of them--if and when then need to. It's a benefit of being a Contributor and a valuable one, at that, for the minimal amount that's requested. The one real restriction is when folks are actually doing it as a business, rather than just offloading personal use items. We've had that happen, too, unfortunately. I truly hope there are few that need to get rid of everything, of course. I'll be very sad if and when that time comes for me (or my family), for sure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've had nothing but good experiences with Craigslist, but I use common sense precautions. I generally meet the folks in a remote public location like inside a Starbucks, no meeting on the street by their address which might just be a dark dead end street. For tools, we exchange photos, emails, names, and phone numbers before they come over. If they are unwilling to exchange this stuff, then I'm not interested in selling to them.

eBay has the same issues, but again, I use common sense precautions.

Edit: If I liked the woman, and if she trusted me, I would simply take all the stuff, set it up in a covered location at your place and put up a CL and/or eBay ad. Part it out or offer a steep discount for the whole thing. Price it to sell. You keep 20-30% of the proceeds as a commission.
    Last edited by Thomas McCurnin; 01-05-2024 at 8:01 PM. Reason: See Text
    Regards,

Tom

An auctioneer oncw told me if you want to sell everything then have an auction. He said if someting isn't going to sell he will group it with another item. Everthing goes in 1 day

Thanks to all. I will advise her to contact a pro auction company. I'll take some pictures also.

If I died or otherwise had to sell off my shop contents I would try to get Brzostek Auction Services to do it, as they are the best in the nothern/central part of NY in my experience. Not best for the buyers, but best for the sellers. There was an outfit out of Rochester which I won't name who did commercial liquidations, and I went to a furniture factory auction they did in my area several years ago about a week before Christmas, and with very little publicity. They made orts of pretty much everything, and I don't imagine the owner was thrilled, but I got a lot of clamps and tables and things that I still use now at extremely low prices. It was funny too, in a sad way, because the auctioneer was an extremely old-looking man who was very bent and had a very wheezy voice, and was pushed around from lot to lot on a lectern on wheels by a younger worker. If he thought something was going too low he would sort of contort and loudly hiss "NO MONEY" in a way that reminded me strongly of Mr. Smallweed from Bleak House by Dickens.

I don't know how to go about choosing an auction company if you're not familiar with them from going to auctions, but it can make a big difference which one is hired.
    Last edited by Zachary Hoyt; 01-06-2024 at 3:09 PM.