Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Miter Saw Fence ???

Blog Entries
    It’s the same with mine. If I added drawers behind the stop, I need only raise them up two inches to avoid the fence..

IMHO, I really see no need for a fence. Your miter saw fence is what counts and based on this, the only real use I can see for extending the fence would be for a stop system. And if that is all it is really good for, then there are may other ways to add a stop (t-track imbedded for example) that still allows you to use the total space as an assembly table / bench.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Colombo View Post
    IMHO, I really see no need for a fence. Your miter saw fence is what counts and based on this, the only real use I can see for extending the fence would be for a stop system. And if that is all it is really good for, then there are may other ways to add a stop (t-track imbedded for example) that still allows you to use the total space as an assembly table / bench.

You’ll have to tell that to the thousands of cabinet, commercial and furniture shops..

Two things a fence does that I guess you wouldn’t understand..

#1… keeps thing from preluding from behind the fence.
    #2…. Dust is like gravity. The fence sitting 1/8 off the miter table doesn’t have that problem..
    Last edited by jack duren; 01-10-2024 at 5:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    You’ll have to tell that to the thousands of cabinet, commercial and furniture shops..

Two things a fence does that I guess you wouldn’t understand..

#1… keeps thing from preluding from behind the fence.
    #2…. Dust is like gravity. The fence sitting 1/8 off the miter table doesn’t have that problem..
    Jack, respectfully I don't follow your two reasons. What do you mean by "prelude"? To me that means introduction. And point #2 I don't quite follow how it argues one way or the other. Dust gets everywhere when using the miter saw.
    Thanks for the clarifications.

Blog Entries
    I’m use to cutting lots of parts on the miter saw, so the last thing I want to do is clean all the time and checking the stop for saw dust. I worked in shop for almost 40 years. I’m pretty sure we have it figured out

y’all think about it today. We figured it a long time ago..

I've used the "fenceless" style ala the Wood Whisperer for several years now. My stops are homemade with a tongue that sits into to t-track to prevent twisting when being tightened. Granted, my Miter Saw is one small step from being sent to the woodshed. At this point, I mainly use it for breaking down lumber. It is almost impossible to really collect the mess it makes and accuracy is passable at best.

My miter station is similar to Wood Whisperer, although I don't have any recessed track. I can see where one length of T track would be useful for a stop but I get by with clamping a stop to the countertop. It never occurred to me that a second, parallel track would be useful, but others might have a use for a third.

Blog Entries
    You have to set up a miter station for the yourself or for a business. When I think about setting up a miter station it’s always business to me. I understand the hobby shop isn’t in need to be so productive , so I have to apologize for being so pushy with a commercial setup…

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    I am building a miter saw station that is more about having a lot of extra cabinet space and drawers but will be a nice addition also for quick cuts. I have the space. I know a lot of you don't use the miter saw often (can I assume you are using your table saw?) I have a space approximately 12 feet wide that is pre-plumbed with a 6" dust collection just begging for use. I have an older Bosch 10" CSMS. For those that have built a permanent miter station, do you prefer a raised fence like Jay Bates uses, or do you prefer a flat track like Marc Spagnuolo?
    I was concerned that an imbedded track would become difficult to use due to dirt and debris filling the track and to avoid that and give me the ability to remove the fence and have a clear bench top I put the fence on pins which go into the bench top when I need the fences for stops. A zero clearance fence on the machine can minimise the need for stops by marking the timber to the dimension and aligning the mark with the fence.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening