Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What have you read, that you can recommend , lately?

Blog Entries

What have you read, that you can recommend , lately?

I just finished Michael Connelly's “ Resurrection Walk” , a Lincoln lawyer book, it was very good. I also read John Grishams latest, “ The Exchange” which was OK. Grisham is one of my favorite fiction authors but I think maybe he’s running out of gas.
    What have you read?
    Thanks
    Dennis

Blog Entries
    Hmm, Great minds think alike...I just finished the same book by Michael Connelly. I've read just about all of his books held by our local library. I'm Currently reading the Arliss Cutter series by Marc Cameron. They are pretty good as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

The Jungle Grows Back ……Kagan

I've been re-reading Len Deighton's three spy trilogies starting with London Game about an MI6 agent whose wife defects to East Germany during the Cold War- clever plotting and a unique approach to the genre- as good as Le Carre if you like that sort of thing. Also some story collections by B. Traven, author of Treasure of the Sierra Madre. No-one like him for tales of Mexico. His first novel, The Death Ship, is fantastic as well.

I like the Daniel Silva books about Gabriel Allon. There's a whole series. I've also read the Jack Reacher books.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa, by E.B. Sledge

1776, by David McCullough

Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, by Hornfischer. (Several unbelievably brave ships sacrificed themselves to stop a japanese task force from attacking our beachhead. Deeply inspiring.)
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 01-03-2024 at 4:44 PM. Reason: Added a book
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I've read a ton of spy novels over the years. My current favorite is the "Slow Horses" series of novels by Mick Herron. The term for a group of failed MI6 agents banished to an office away from the main office. Interesting characters and not like some of the novels that follow a formula. And also the basis for a fine TV series currently on Apple TV.
    < insert spurious quote here >

“The Minutemen” by Ret Gen James Galvin
    ”Memoir of Vietnam and the Pentagon Papers” by Daniel Ellsberg
    “Roger Williams and the Creation of the American Soul” by John Berry

I enjoyed the "Thursday murder club" books. Most LOLs in recent memory.

Washington's Crossing by David Hackett Fischer
    Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage by Alfred Lansing
    Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
    Monsters and the Critics and Other Essays by JRR Tolkien
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

"The Civil War-a Narrative" by Shelby Foote, a 3-volume series about the war. Viewpoints from the political, military, and person on the street. Quite long, very descriptive, and I enjoy his writing style. I'm reading the third volume now.
    BillL

Blog Entries
    The Mac Walker 6 book series by D.W. Ulsterman. Follows the life of an ex-navy seal as he negotiates a world altering "New" United Nations. I read them ten years ago, and it made such an impression I just re-read the series.
    NOW you tell me...

I keep a dog eared copy of the Dao de Ching by Laotzu translated in the 1890's by James Legge by my side table in the living room. Like most works, I learn something new about myself every time I read a few pages. In addition, authors mentioned above and adult fantasy novels for escapism. I love e-books on a tablet so I can adjust the print, can read paperback size print anymore. Brian
    Brian

In Harms Way (Sinking of the USS Indianapolis),
    The Boys in the Boat. I know a movie just came out for it which I plan to see at some point.
    All the Jack Reacher series.
    One of Patty's suggestions "Endurance, Shackelton's Incredible Voyage" is interesting but not an easy read. It isn't one that you can't put down once started but I pushed through.

I'm a Kindle Unlimited Subscriber as I read 2-4 books a week; more lately with my right wrist in a cast. It's an all you can consume thing for ten bucks a month and I don't have to deal with finding new homes for paper books nor the associated cost of them. I tend to get into series from many writers in various genres; largely thrillers; mystery; covert; dystopian, etc., plus some SciFi occasionally.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...