Thread: Creeker’s Past Week’s Accomplishments

Creeker’s Past Week’s Accomplishments

Happy New Years everyone, I hope you have a rewarding and happy year ahead.

We have our youngest daughter Michelle, her husband Jordan, and our first grandchild Maeva along with their two dogs and kitten, as well as our two cats and dog, it’s a full house.

Yesterday we had a Creeker visit from Clint Baxter (ND), so we’re having a really great NewYears.

There has been some shop activity, I built a couple of shop wall cabinets out of white termite vomit.

Having a small shop, it’s important to keep it organized.

I really love my hydraulic shop cart, makes many tasks so much easier.

IMG_2296.jpgIMG_2297.jpg

Regards, Rod

You had a busy week, Rod! But I suspect many of us did. I can appreciate your love of that hydraulic cart as I'm a big believer in adjustable height surfaces in the shop and that includes lifting capability like that. (I don't have one...yet...but it's on the "list")

I started things out with a "most excellent" family Christmas holiday meal featuring a USDA Prime ($$$$) prime rib roast, loaded baked potatoes with spicy/sweet bacon among the toppings, etc. I don't often cook a piece of meat like that, both for cost reasons and because Professor Dr SWMBO isn't a big meat eater, but the whole family, including her, really enjoyed it. (I have been doing all the cooking here for quite some time now) Presents were nice for sure and I spent some quality time in the shop over several days getting to know the WorkSharp and my hand tools have never been as "deadly" as they are at present. Totally happy that "Santa" brought that! It was nice being in the shop, too, even if it wasn't to make anything. I'll start back with that soon with smaller projects, but I need the cast off my right wrist first. Sadly, that's been delayed a few days because the provider rescheduled from this Friday to Tuesday the 9th.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Happy New Year All!

Cabinets look great, Rod. Love the sign; I have a T-shirt with the same message. Jim, Standing rib is my favorite! But like you, don't make/get it often as Mary doesn't eat much meat besides chicken. I have a boneless lamb roast in sous vide right now though and will sear it in a cast iron skillet right before we eat later.

I made a lot of progress on the table tennis blade for my BIL. Took a test glue-up of shop made plywood out of the bag this morning and it came out really nice, plenty good enough for the project. Beginners luck I guess as it's the first shop made plywood I've attempted. Have the veneers made from the "real" wood all ready for glue-up of the real thing; hope it goes as well as the test did.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Happy New Year as well.

I had fun restoring the batch of Japanese xmas chisels, and now have used (some of) them on the 'half table' structure. This is the extension to a kitchen counter with end grain butcher block top.
    The project had stalled a little & the holiday time was good to get it back in focus. Legs and rails will be painted. They just need a few more glue blocks, a test fit & final sand.
    Because the end grain top will move in all directions, the screws holding it will be in one hole, three slots, and two over-sized holes with washers under the screw heads. The smallest Domino cutter makes a nice slot that just needs to be drilled deeper.

Sold the import drill press that had been replaced a while back with a vintage Royal (Canedy-Otto) one.

A fair amount of shop cleaning and sorting scraps. No woodworking gift projects done this year which is unusual.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You had a busy week, Rod! But I suspect many of us did. I can appreciate your love of that hydraulic cart as I'm a big believer in adjustable height surfaces in the shop and that includes lifting capability like that. (I don't have one...yet...but it's on the "list")

I started things out with a "most excellent" family Christmas holiday meal featuring a USDA Prime ($$$$) prime rib roast, loaded baked potatoes with spicy/sweet bacon among the toppings, etc. I don't often cook a piece of meat like that, both for cost reasons and because Professor Dr SWMBO isn't a big meat eater, but the whole family, including her, really enjoyed it. (I have been doing all the cooking here for quite some time now) Presents were nice for sure and I spent some quality time in the shop over several days getting to know the WorkSharp and my hand tools have never been as "deadly" as they are at present. Totally happy that "Santa" brought that! It was nice being in the shop, too, even if it wasn't to make anything. I'll start back with that soon with smaller projects, but I need the cast off my right wrist first. Sadly, that's been delayed a few days because the provider rescheduled from this Friday to Tuesday the 9th.

We always do prime rib for Christmas dinner. There is a grocery store chain here that always has them on sale for Christmas. This year they put bows on the meat packages as the discount was so large. At 6.99 a pound, I saved 137 dollars off of the normal price. At Costco, prime rib was just under 13 dollars a pound.

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hawkshaw View Post
    We always do prime rib for Christmas dinner. There is a grocery store chain here that always has them on sale for Christmas. This year they put bows on the meat packages as the discount was so large. At 6.99 a pound, I saved 137 dollars off of the normal price. At Costco, prime rib was just under 13 dollars a pound.
    Costco was out and what I saw in the regular food markets was, um...not all that great looking. I ended up buying from a local farm store...their own beef. It was expensive at $23+ a pound. But it was also "wow"... Two other small, independent places were similarly priced and I couldn't even get into a well regarded local butcher because the line was so long for folks picking up stuff they ordered. It's only money.... LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Took wife to ER on Christmas day with breathing / coughing problems due to flu. Friday, went to doc in a box and got antibiotics for RSV that turned into sinus and ear infection. Lots of screen time, as neither of us felt well. We have coughing contests, almost hourly, but we ARE getting better! Did go to Wendy's one day just to get a burger, and get out of the house. Finally refilled LP gas cylinders from State Fair.