Thread: Delta Dust collector 50-850

Delta Dust collector 50-850

Broke the switch box on my Delta DC 50-850. Check with Delta and was told that it had been Discontinued. Does anyone know where I might find a used one? I was think I would buy just a box on Amazon and see if I can get it to work. Will have cut cut it out to fit. The one on the DC is 4 3/4 x 7 x 2 and plastic also. Would like to find a metal one.

Not sure this is possible or practical. I have a penn station remote switch so my dust collector switch is always in the on position. Brian
    Brian

No need to look for a used one, just pick up correctly rated wall switch and mount it in a surface mount box. As a bonus, wire the box on the end of a suitable length extension cord, put a magnet on the back and connect the other end of the wire to the existing switch leads. Now you have a remote switch you can locate next to whatever machine you are using and no remote control to lose or batteries to replace. I've run my 1HP DC and shop vac that way for over a decade using just ordinary wall switches, think I replaced the DC switch once in that time.

If you can get part numbers, just do a google search and see if someone out there is selling one. I've found parts warehouses selling parts for a random assorted of machines in which I needed spares that way - while the OEM might not carry the parts, someone else might (or carry equivalents).

It's a simple on/off switch as was already noted. You can replace with a variety of solutions as long as they support 120v and the necessary amperage. That means a plain "wall switch" (although I'd prefer a double pole that also disconnects the neutral) or many types of machine switches.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you will find that a switch like this is a direct replacement if you desire to remain in that configuration: https://a.co/d/6SKbgjZ

51-KFe6-aKL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Less than $15 currently.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

Have you checked ereplacementparts.com ? They're my first go to for parts for Jet / Delta, similar brands.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's a simple on/off switch as was already noted. You can replace with a variety of solutions as long as they support 120v and the necessary amperage. That means a plain "wall switch" (although I'd prefer a double pole that also disconnects the neutral) or many types of machine switches.
    Some switches are motor rated. Be sure to get a switch that will handle the start surge, especially on a machine with a high start amperage -- like a dust collector. I had a machine switch weld itself in the "on" position. Fortunately the machine had a plug rather than being hard wired. I would be concerned about a "heavy duty light switch" having the same issue if it wasn't motor rated.

That's a good point, Curt
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'd be much more concerned with the issue Curt raised for a tool spinning an exposed blade or bit like a table saw or router especially if hard wired. Little danger with a plugged in dust collector if the contacts weld shut.

But Curt still makes an excellent point, many toggle type switches are not hp rated.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin