Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviews online, especially "Best Of" - don't trust them

Reviews online, especially "Best Of" - don't trust them

Ah, another pet peeve of mine. Online reviews.

I received this in the mail today:
    5-Star Review Offer.jpg

Ah yes, for a $100 "Discount" you too can get a 5-star rating as a doctor. I really hope people don't read those, but I know they do.

My personal favorite is the "Top Doctors in ...." sites. For usually about $300 (or more if you want them framed) you too can be a "Top Doctor" in your area, be in magazines, etc... For kicks, after I retired, I paid for one of those. Loved that I was a "Top Doctor in ..." even though I wasn't practicing. Really disgusting what this has turned into. It's hard enough to find a real quality doctor. This just makes that task much harder. Years ago, the worst doctor in my group got this. Everyone knew to avoid him. But, there was that "Top Doctor" designation...
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Similar things abound for other "industries" Alan. When it comes to medicine I cheat. I am fortunate that several of my friends from college went into medicine. I simply ask them to do what they can to find out about the reputation of any doctors either my wife or I need to see. I know it isn't foolproof, but so far we haven't been steered wrong.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

When I search "best" I usually check 4-5 lists to find out what is reoccuring and from there I read reviews of those products without searching "Best". I use it more to find out whats available in a market.

Blog Entries
    I remember "shopping for a doctor." This was before the internet. Then it all depended on if your medical plan was accepted by any doctor you were thinking of going to for consultation.

One of my employers changed plans every year. For a few years I never saw the same doctor twice.

Now as a member of a medical group we have had one doctor until they retire or move to a different location. It is kind of nice having one doctor or group of doctors who are familiar with their patients.

That individuals from various service providers can purchase a reputation is kind of appalling to me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Angie's list worked, not exactly pay for top billing, buy adds and your rating went up. They have changed the spelling to distance themselves form bad past? practices.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 12-14-2023 at 12:10 PM.

We live in the age of unbridled B.S. and civilization is doomed.

Civilization has always been founded on human gullibility, but it was never able to be exploited so much by so many, in so many ways, to such an extent that you can trust nothing and no one.

In the immortal words of the great philosopher Iron Mike
    Screenshot 2023-12-14 122223.jpg

It is time to enter the age of accountability.

yes and bring back public flogging

The thing about "the best of" is that you used to ask your friends and family members for their opinion, you know, people you could trust not to steer you wrong.

Now, not only are many of the "best of" lisst generated by online reviews, sales figures and their paid for status, etc. These are anonymous opinions from people/algorithms who, from just reading a few sentences, you can tell have no clue what they're talking about. The same verbiage can be used to describe a hair dryer or a belt sander.
    There is also no objective basis on which to determine what is "the best". This is what is exploited and how they get away with nonsensical lists that are paid for by ad revenue.

I'm with George on this.
    I will often look to see whats available, check prices and then start the investigation to see if whatever product/service lives up to their list position.
    JMO

When I was practicing law, they instigated "Superlawyers" and "Superlawers' Magazine." Of course, none of the large firm Harvard trial lawyers were on that list, because one had to pay $2,000 to be a "Superlawyer." And they took anyone's money.
    Regards,

Tom

Everytime I see something like that, I realize there must be enough people who believe they're legitimate evaluations to make it worthwhile.

I feel the same contempt as when they have those "Hollywood Walk of Fame" ceremonies, when pretty much people have bought their place "among the stars"..
    < insert spurious quote here >

We all "believe"

Choose your poison, Religion, Politics, Justice, Art, Conspiracies, Flat earth, UFO's, Astrology, Advertising, Fake news etc. etc......

Don't forget one of our very own "Best of" Sam Maloof.

Anything that can't be measured will be exaggerated, and sold to the willing, gullible believers, by those who stand to profit from doing so.

B.S. is the universal currency, the universal language, and the oil the lubricates the gears of human civilization.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Everytime I see something like that, I realize there must be enough people who believe they're legitimate evaluations to make it worthwhile.

I feel the same contempt as when they have those "Hollywood Walk of Fame" ceremonies, when pretty much people have bought their place "among the stars"..

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    yes and bring back public flogging
    Great idea...it's got my vote.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Depending on what I am checking, I go to state court case records and look up the number of times a company has been sued. Especially by consumer orgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    Great idea...it's got my vote.
    Mine too Patty! (Off topic: I think the Mike Tyson quote was pretty much right on.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    A good public service announcement. The more you know . . .

At this point in history I guess I will never stop being surprised that people still fall for, and do, the things we've been warning them about since the mid 90s.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler