Thread: Best way to make lots of 1/8" slots

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    You can make a .125 standard blade cut wider by placing a piece or two of masking tape on the saw arbor back washer on one side. It makes the blade a wobble dado blade. Next option is a couple or 7 1/2" blades for a skill saw and see if you can use that for the slot. Some of those blades are really thin.

if you can use stuff that wont compress that is why i said shim stock but have used whatever I find in the shop Lam backer or feeler gauge or. Feeler gauges easier to dial in. This is sort like those bobble dadoe blades, had zero interst in them when regular dadoes do the job.

HSS blade and a saw set. HSS teeth should last a good time in soft pine.
    BilL D.

A router with edge guide and a 1/8" bit might be your most economical solution if you already own the router/edge guide. Or if you own a router table. Won't be as fast as a table saw but a router bit would be cheaper.

Cheap / Fast / High Quality - pick two...

An 1/8" router bit cutting a 1/4" groove, will clog, vibrate, break, dull and probably do some other unwanted things, all in the first cut.
    Freud makes an 8" combo blade that will work for what the OP described, for about $75
    https://www.freudtools.com/products/LU84M008

This doesn't need to be complicated

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    An 1/8" router bit cutting a 1/4" groove, will clog, vibrate, break, dull and probably do some other unwanted things, all in the first cut.
    Freud makes an 8" combo blade that will work for what the OP described, for about $75
    https://www.freudtools.com/products/LU84M008

This doesn't need to be complicated
    Sure buddy...

Quote Originally Posted by Keegan Shields View Post
    Sure buddy...

Not sure what that means

I belive it means he does not agree with your assessment that 1/8" router bit won't work. I tend to agree with him, router could work just fine if the right technique is used.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin

I guess no one here owns an adjustable sawset? This is almost the job they are designed to do, isn't it?
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Barber View Post
    I belive it means he does not agree with your assessment that 1/8" router bit won't work. I tend to agree with him, router could work just fine if the right technique is used.
    IME
    An 1/8" bit will work BUT it will encounter more issues than a saw blade, as I mentioned
    1/8" router bits have extremely small flutes and when used in a wood like pine, they usually tend to gum up with resin quite quickly, necessitating frequently cleaning. They also have the tendency of overheating when used for large amounts of stock removal (lots of slots)

These are just a few reasons why I would use a saw instead of a router.
    YMMV, Feel free to disagree