Thread: "Original" Ritz crackers

"Original" Ritz crackers

The crackers sold nowadays as "original" Ritz crackers are not the Ritz cracker that I remember from my youth. Modern Ritz crackers are better. They are flaky and sightly buttery. As I remember the the Ritz crackers of yore, they were darker, crisp not flaky, and they had distinctive taste that's hard to describe - perhaps "overcooked whole wheat flavor" captures it. Was there an "original" Ritz cracker before the cracker than I remember?
    "

Blog Entries
    Lard and tropical oils might be the source of the old fashioned taste. "Made in Mexico" might have something to do with the change as well.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 12-11-2023 at 7:52 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Haven't eaten a genuine RITZ brand cracker in years, but have and still do, eat a bunch of Aldi's knock offs.

Blog Entries
    We have several things that we prefer Aldi for. Dairy mostly. I try to be thrifty and not too much of a food snob. Harbor Freight and Aldi share a parking lot at our location. The quality and similarity of the two stores has become a source of humor for us. "Honey I need some cheap gloves, do we need any cheap food?" We are relying on Aldi more and more.
    Best Regards, Maurice

For us Aldi is our "upscale" grocery store. We drive over to Saranac Lake about once a month to get things there. Our regular grocery store is Save-A-Lot, which is a bit lower on the food chain. We could go all the way to Lake Placid for Price Chopper and Hannaford, and we do occasionally to get a large bottle of olive oil or something.

I see housewives bring in empty gallon glass jugs to buy olive oil at the olive oil store near us. Anything to save a buck.
    BilL D

For this, they recommend low salt Ritz crackers- are those still available?

IMG_4142.jpeg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I see housewives bring in empty gallon glass jugs to buy olive oil at the olive oil store near us. Anything to save a buck.
    BilL D
    Our kids get most of their liquid products at the "Refillery" bring your own container for all kinds of products. I approve of the concept. I have lots of buckets. The one for beer seems to have a hole in it.
    Best Regards, Maurice