Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Delta Drill Press Motor Has Bad Bearings - What to Do?

Vintage Delta Drill Press Motor Has Bad Bearings - What to Do?

Acquired a 1940s era 17" Delta press some years ago, for $300. Had some bad runout, so I had hammersmith redo the spindle at about $200. It seems the 1/2 hp original motor has bad bearings also (more runout), and will cost $1000 to have them replaced. Ouch.

I can't see dropping that kinda money on this, especially when speed changes are done by moving the belt.

While I like the vintage 300 pound weight, its not my favorite, most-used tool, and is relegated to rough drilling. Does it make sense, and at what cost might it be, to replace the motor and go with a VFD? New floor drill presses are 1500 bucks, and up, and that's a lot for a tool that is not used all that much.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Pick up a treadmill on Craigslist for free and build a motor controller for under $100. Check out this guy's website and videos. I did when I converted my old drill press to variable speed without changing belts. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkout0vTIJ0

I've changed bearings on at least 4 Delta/Rockwell fractional HP motors and the cost of a set of bearings is in the $20-$40 range. Is there some other work needed other than swapping out the bearings?

I don't see how the motor bearings would cause runout on the spindle. But like Phil said the job shouldn't be more than $50 for your bearings. Either you added an extra zero or someone is taking advantage of you.

if you've never done a job like this we could probably walk you through it or you could find a video on the Tube.
    Last edited by Jerry Bruette; 12-10-2023 at 2:41 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I'd say you are in it too deeply already. Your $1,000 quote to repair the motor is a statement that they don't want to do it. It's a ridiculous amount of money. If you want to restore old machinery, get a little hydraulic press becasues you will need to do that kind of work to make that hobby affordable.

Buy a bearing splitter, 2 inch or under. Or get a used three phase motor and vfd. Just make sure the shaft diameter and length is correct.
    BilL D

If replacing the bearings are beyond what you want to tackle Harbor Freight should have a replacement motor for under $200. Also looks like eBay has a 3 phase for around the same. I don’t know what a VFD costs. I went the 3 phase route on my lathe years ago. The motor and VFD was like $250 on eBay.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Last edited by Bryan Cramer; 12-10-2023 at 4:10 PM.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Does your motor have sleeve, or ball bearings? Ball bearings are a piece of cake to change. Sleeves, you have to press out, and press new ones in, plus finding right sized sleeve can be a problem.

A motor that old may have an obsolete mounting pattern. Measure the shaft height and the mount hole spacing and compare it to modern NEMA standards. I have made adapters from plywood with some carriage bolts to fit.
    Bill D.
    https://www.baldor.com/Shared/pdf/NEMA_chart_04.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Gaudio View Post
    Is there some other work needed other than swapping out the bearings?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Either you added an extra zero or someone is taking advantage of you.
    I called what I was told was a reputable electrical shop here in Denver, and mentioned the bearings. They asked me what HP the motor, and their reply was $1000 to replace the bearings.

I've never had a need to replace a bearing before, so I cannot speak of any experience here. I did Google bearing replacement. I read about the need for "freezing" to get a bearing to fit, and the cost of that was enough to dissuade me from wanting to attempt it.

Thanks for all the comments, I obviously need to do some more homework before I commit to anything.

A few years ago, maybe 5 or 6, I had a motor shop replace the bearings on my 1 1/2 HP table saw motor, if I recall it was under $200. Biggest problem I had was finding a shop that would work on a motor that small, most shops wouldn't touch anything under 10HP. Sounds like your shop doesn't want that type of work. Not sure why you think freezing the bearing is expensive, stick it in a home freezer for an hour, nothing special required.

Blog Entries
    I paid only a few hundred less than that to have someone replace bearings on a big motor I have, but I was also hoping he could help me out w/ the brake and find a replacement pulley... which he didn't. I was hoping to get an expert, but I don't think really happened... In other words, even though I was in a time crunch I should have taken the time to do it myself.

They sell wedges that you hammer under the pulleys to remove them from the shaft (if the pulley is right up against the motor). That was the hard part for me... I didn't know that's how they got pulleys off. Pressing is a lot easier than removing a press fit. OTH, if they are sleeve, you may be able to do the weld trick where you weld a small bead on the inside diameter of the sleeve and remove it pretty easily.

Motors are pretty simple from a repair perspective... its a shaft inside a case. I would at least crack it open before letting it go.
    Yes, I have 3 phase!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Shields View Post
    I called what I was told was a reputable electrical shop here in Denver, and mentioned the bearings. They asked me what HP the motor, and their reply was $1000 to replace the bearings.

I've never had a need to replace a bearing before, so I cannot speak of any experience here. I did Google bearing replacement. I read about the need for "freezing" to get a bearing to fit, and the cost of that was enough to dissuade me from wanting to attempt it.

Thanks for all the comments, I obviously need to do some more homework before I commit to anything.
    Shouldn't be a need to freeze anything. Could you post a couple pictures of the motor? Or even the model number of the drill press so we could look up the parts breakdown.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Need lots of info in order to offer any advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Shouldn't be a need to freeze anything. Could you post a couple pictures of the motor? Or even the model number of the drill press so we could look up the parts breakdown.
    I just can't imagine a motor that small costing anywhere near that for a bearing replacement.

More info about the tool would be great. Pics better. Any data from tags on the motor too.

Bearing replacement on small electric motor is a simple process, no need to over complicate it. Here's a random video showing the process and showing that you don't need anything special other than a $20 bearing puller from HF if you don't already own one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKRBQ3y2L8s. Bearings for your motor should be about $10 each. They are likely 6203 but pull the motor apart and carry them to any local bearing shop who can match them up and give you exactly what you need. Seriously, if you've replaced the quill on that DP you can replace the bearings.
    Mike