Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fastest Postal Carrier in the Country

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, but your profile shows you in Canada and I did get a package from Canada recently.

Besides, my last post on this came in near my bedtime.

jtk
    OK, I was betting on USPS to meet the delivery in your first post, appears I lost the bet. The bet was a buck so if you send me the postage I'll mail you a Loonie (Canuck Buck coin).

Blog Entries
    Just checked and the delivery time changed from 2:15pm to 4:15pm.

Hopefully it gets here before it gets dark. Today was garbage pickup day so I have to haul the garbage can back from the road. It's a little over a tenth of a mile and not fun to do in the dark while carrying mail and hauling the garbage can.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Just checked and the delivery time changed from 2:15pm to 4:15pm.

Hopefully it gets here before it gets dark. Today was garbage pickup day so I have to haul the garbage can back from the road. It's a little over a tenth of a mile and not fun to do in the dark while carrying mail and hauling the garbage can.

jtk
    That's when a small daypack (backpack) comes in handy.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Patty Hann View Post
    That's when a small daypack (backpack) comes in handy.
    I was thinking of that, but my hip has been sore. Candy & I went out in the truck to pick up the mail and the garbage can. She accompanied me for moral support. That's what people do after 40 years of marriage. She's my first wife, I'm her second husband. I think we surprised a few people by staying together this long.

Interesting thing with the mail notification.

After checking for deliver at 4:15, it was time to go make myself a sandwich. Interesting the Grocery Outlet ran out of the Extra Sharp Cheddar they've been selling for a month or two. The only sharpish cheddar was one with caramelized onions. Interesting flavor but the onions give it a sweeter taste.

After eating the USPS was checked again and this was their site:

Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 5.50.27 PM.png

So we went out to the road for the mail and the bin.

When we got back I noticed they sent an email while we were out:

Screen Shot 2023-12-08 at 5.57.58 PM.png

It must be Friday, or some other day that ends in a Y.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    … Too bad each location doesn't put a stamp on the package (like a passport).
    I’m not sure what we would call a mark that indicates where the post is coming from?

Despite their foibles, I do enjoy seeing news reports about the extremely odd route carries across the country. About 20 yrs ago, there was still a guy on a mule that carried up the "hollers" of tenntucky. Another was the few fellows that did their routes by boat every day and mail boxes were actually on the peoples' docks. Apparently because to use the roads around the lake/river would have been 350 miles, but less than 50 miles by water.

I remember when I lived in Coral Gables, Fla, we must have been at the very end of the daily routes. In summer, the mail arrived about noon to 1 pm. , and the closer to year end, the later the mail. By mid December, the mail was often not delivered until 7 or 8 pm.

When a spoke is broken, it has to go to the next nearest hub and start the process again from there. The next nearest hub is not always in the direction the package should be traveling. This sometimes gets compounded by each subsequent hub. Doesn't belong here, kick the can down the road and make it the next guys problem.

If anyone has ever been in a mail sorting center or have seen the sorting machines work, it's almost amazing that we don't have more stories like in this thread.

Knock on wood, so far this holiday season has been good, although it's early days yet.
    One exception is the guys from Sams Club who thinks my porch is like an NFL goal line. As long as the package breaks the plane, it's good. No need to take it the last 15 feet or so to my door, out of the rain. He used to drop things at the garage, rain or shine, so this is an improvement.

4 years ago, I ordered some turning tools from Russia. Tracking showed the tools made it from Moscow to London and then to customs in New York City in a mere 3 mindboggling days. It took another week to get to Philadelphia, just 100 miles away. And then another 20 days to get to my PO

Blog Entries
    Here is a good one of a mail carrier throwing a package on a porch > https://www.facebook.com/reel/922404732548611

jtk

Yesterday, I received a package from the west coast, that USPS shipping shows they are awaiting package. Now that's fast, delivered before it was shipped!