Thread: Problem with Epilog Mini (laser tube or locking mechanism)?

Question Problem with Epilog Mini (laser tube or locking mechanism)?

I have an almost 19 yr old Epilog Mini 24. For the past few months the laser occasionally won't fire. It's usually when I first hit go. It seems as though if I keep opening and closing the lid then it may fire which is why I'm thinking it might be the locking mechanism. A few days ago I was engraving a metal plaque plate and it engraved almost all the way down the plate but missed 2 lines close to the bottom. I isolated and tried re-engraving with no luck. Made at least a dozen or so attempts and finally got it to engrave. I've never replaced the CO2 tube so I know I'm on borrowed time. The lenses probably need to be replaced too. Last year I replaced the X-Axis motor. Do you think the problem is the locking mechanism?

At this point I'm thinking it may be worth it to buy a new machine rather than dump money into it. Someone locally contacted me looking to sell their 2021 Zing 12 x 24 with a rotary attachment with approx 50 working hrs. What are your thoughts?
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

I would check the interlocks to be sure they're making good contact. Reconnect your USB cable and think about replacing it.

You should be able to sell the machine and buy the slightly used one which seems like a good opportunity if you're inclined to get a new machine. (I would be)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Many years ago one of the magnets must have fallen off. I happened to notice it one day but the machine was still working fine. Here we are years later and now it seems to be more problematic or at least I'm assuming that's the problem. Maybe I should contact Epilog to see if I can get a replacement. Either way it probably is time for a new laser.
    Epilog 35 Watt Mini 12" x 24"
    New Hermes V3400
    Kwikprint 55
    CorelDraw 2017, Illustrator, Photoshop

I think Mike is right, You have two unrelated issues going on. Those 8000 models need to run with Patch cables, it's in the operation manual. Those needed to be replaced over time, you will know when you start experiencing data loss. If the engraving is corrupted in the same spot on each job than it is the optical cable or Encoder strip, and If you are using any thing other than distilled water to clean them it doesn't take long to do harm. A main ribbon failure could do it also the mother board has sensor lights that will indicate this. Maybe if you are lucky this could fix both problems, Maybe? i tend to believe that the safety magnets need cleaning or replaced from what you described if it was anything else it would work or not. Hope this helps