Thread: Hi, All. Can Somebody Please Recommend a Top Quality Curing Lamp for UV Resin?

Hi, All. Can Somebody Please Recommend a Top Quality Curing Lamp for UV Resin?

Hi, Everyone. I use UV-curing resin in my shop, usually not much thicker than about 1.0 mm (.040"). I occasionally put some green tint in it, which makes it more opague and thus more challenging to cure.

Someone recommended I get a stronger curing lamp, one that was rated in power of at least 36 Watts. So I bought one on Amazon that said 36 watts, but when I got the thing opened up the spec sheet said it's only 10 watts. What the heck is going on?

I'm very uneducated on electric things, but I need a really powerful UV curing lamp that puts out a true power of 36 watts. Any ideas? I cannot use regular Epoxy resins for my application; only UV does the trick.

Thank You,
    Scott
    Last edited by Scott Memmer; 12-01-2023 at 1:58 PM.

I know that the one Blacktail Studios is using is pretty powerful, but it is also expensive...big time. Scroll down in this link

https://blacktailstudioshop.com/page...ed-hardwax-oil
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm not using them for curing epoxy, but I bought two packages, totaling 4 of these LED UV lights from Amazon recently to use in my photo/video studio. They are water resistant, not water proof, but can be used outdoors as well as indoors, meaning that they are sealed quite well so fumes and dust in a shop can't easily get into them. Each is rated for 150 watts, so considerably more UV than what you have. Halloween was better this year since the bright colors of the costumes showed up so much better with these lights in use.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C89TF3F7...t_details&th=1

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I know that the one Blacktail Studios is using s pretty powerful, but it is also expensive...big time. Scroll down in this link

https://blacktailstudioshop.com/page...ed-hardwax-oil
    Jim, hi, thanks. You're always a great respondent. Appreciate your post.

As you might have suspected, this would put me way over budget for this project at this point. I'm in prototype phase on this current design and not even sure it will make it to production. Thanks, though, as always.

Scott

Scott, you don't give your location, but if it's not too cold, you could just take your project out in the sun (for free).
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Morgan View Post
    Scott, you don't give your location, but if it's not too cold, you could just take your project out in the sun (for free).
    Funny, I was thinking that too, Jim. I'm in Los Angeles. Do you think 15 minutes on a sunny day would do it?

Thanks,
    Scott

Ask the product manufacturer if a sun cure will work...it does with Solarez products
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ask the product manufacturer if a sun cure will work...it does with Solarez products
    I would think that sunlight would work, since it contains a complete spectrum of UV frequencies. Exposure time will depend on depth of pour and opacity of tint, but 15 minutes seems a reasonable place to start.

There is also a nasty chemical - MEKP - that will kick UV resins. It is unstable and inflammable, so probably best to avoid unless there is no other option.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Jim, thanks. Good ideas all the way around. I'm returning the cheapie lamp to Amazon and will indeed contact the resin manufacturer about natural sunlight curing.

Take Care, Jim,
    Scott